Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tax stimulus to include new motorcycle purchases!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What good is a tax deduction if you don't have enough money or income to buy a new bike.
Heck, my local dealer is offering to pay the sales tax on any new bike purchase. Nice try but it still doesn't fix whats wrong.
Credits and deductions are worthless for those who are un-employeed or under-employeed. I guess they didn't think that far ahead. Idiots inhabit Washington.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by peddler
If the $4,000-$5,000 profit margin number is accurate on a $20,000+ motorcycle. the % gross profit is less thatn 25%. Even if the $4,000-$5,000 number is accurate on a $17,000 bike the profit margin is less than 30%. Reduce that MSRP by $3,000 as some have suggested and your under 15% gross profit. Any successful business men/women out there working on less than 15% gross profit??

I'm always amazed at the number of individuals that don't own businesses but have all the answers regarding how other people should "successfully" run theirs.

I'm not a dealer but I am an independent business man that has 40+ years of riding experience. I want Harley Davidson to be around for many many more years.
Well, I'm amazed! If they are really only marking these bikes up by 25%, I don't see how they pay for the showrooms and personnel etc. these days. If sales are still down 35+% next summer, a lot of them won't be around very long. They must be on a razor's edge all the time, even when sales are booming.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Horse
Credits and deductions are worthless for those who are un-employeed or under-employeed. I guess they didn't think that far ahead. Idiots inhabit Washington.
Am I missing something here? If you don't have sufficient income, don't go buy a luxury recreational vehicle. Under-employed? WTF is that? You think you're worth more, but you took a job less than you think you're worth?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wbeem
Am I missing something here? If you don't have sufficient income, don't go buy a luxury recreational vehicle. Under-employed? WTF is that? You think you're worth more, but you took a job less than you think you're worth?
I don't think that is what he meant by his comment.

I think what he was sayin was how can the public buy expensive cars and bikes when we are losing jobs and our houses by the millions?

I'm thinking he was lamenting on the whole economy and how Washington seems totaly disconnected.

Personally, I think it's foolish for almost any working stiff American to buy anything on credit today, especially a scooter or RV.

I've got a relatively secure job and already drawing a military retirement, but I'm cutting costs and tossing lots extra into savings right now. I pulled my pretax investments out of stocks 2 years ago and swapped into treasurys, but they too are fixing to be worthless.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM
sungoldultra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is hard to figure out why someone would buy now with the interest rates so low, fuel prices as they are, and extra years of warranties thrown in bike deals now. I too would rather wait until the market is raging again and have to wait for 2 years for my new ride to come in. Some people can handle debt. Some people got into debt over their ears by purchasing homes and businesses that greedy banks should have never authorized credit lines for in the first place.
You know like they say, he who dies with the most toys, is still dead.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Well, I'm amazed! If they are really only marking these bikes up by 25%, I don't see how they pay for the showrooms and personnel etc. these days. If sales are still down 35+% next summer, a lot of them won't be around very long. They must be on a razor's edge all the time, even when sales are booming.
Be assured there will be fewer Harley Dealers this time next year. I believe you could easily make the argument that the HD dealership network has expanded way beyond what the market will support going forward. The HD dealership network back in the 30's and 40's was comprised of hill climbers that sold and serviced motorcycles to support their hobby. My guess is we're headed back toward the smaller specialty dealer network from the current mass merchandiser 150,000 sq. ft. dealer mentality.

My concern lies with the strength/quality of a downsized HD. HD won't see a 359,000 motorcycle year again for many years if ever. What will a significantly smaller HD be like? I' guess we are all going to find out.

Just my .02.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
I don't think that is what he meant by his comment.

I think what he was sayin was how can the public buy expensive cars and bikes when we are losing jobs and our houses by the millions?

I'm thinking he was lamenting on the whole economy and how Washington seems totaly disconnected.

Personally, I think it's foolish for almost any working stiff American to buy anything on credit today, especially a scooter or RV.

I've got a relatively secure job and already drawing a military retirement, but I'm cutting costs and tossing lots extra into savings right now. I pulled my pretax investments out of stocks 2 years ago and swapped into treasurys, but they too are fixing to be worthless.

You are correct and thanks.
In my profession we are dying, thus under-employeed. As much as I'd like to do something, I can't. This is where Obama's plan will fail; it is shortsighted. All too often those That Have cannot understand what its like to be those that Have Not. I used to be a Have now I know what its like to be a Have Not.