Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Install & First Impressions on my '07 UC

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Install & First Impressions on my '07 UC

My new PCV showed up from Fuel Moto for my '07 UC. Here's what was in the box:

It looks a little daunting at first but don't let that deter you. This really is a plug and play 30 minute install. Be sure you read and re-read the instructions before you start working. Here is the guts (brains) of the whole thing, the PC V:

The first step is to work in a well lit area. You'll want to remove the right side saddlebag and side cover. Here's what you're looking at with the right side cover removed, staring at the ECU:

Your first step is to unplug the major-league grey connector from the bottom of the ECU. Simply pry the connector locking snap outward and gently pull the connector free and this is what you'll see:

Next, get your new PCV and plug in the grey connector into the bottom of the ECU until the connector lock snaps into place, then plug the PCV black connector into the grey connector that was originally connected to your ECU, thusly:

The instructions that come with the PCV for an '07 install are somewhat confusing in that Fuel moto includes the instructions for installing a PC III into an '07 touring model, plus they send the instructions for installing a PC V into an '09 Softail. The '07 Touring instructions are all you'll need, unless you are going to install the Autotune Kit, which I did not. In these instructions, they show attaching the PCV itself to the ECM with cable ties, but when I got everything pugged in, it just wanted to go in a little differently, like this:

In the above picture, I've run a cable tie around the two connectors, then ran a second behind the ECU (as instructed) and around the connectors, pulling everything nice and snug.
An important note here... you have minimal clearance between all this stuff and the side cover. Keep everything as close to the ECU as you can when installing and periodically try installing your side cover to make sure it will still snap on. I even went so far as to make sure that the "****" ends of the cable ties were not sticking out but were flush with the connectors or other parts.
The next step is finding a nesting place for the PCV module itself. Again, the cabling seemed to dictate how this all fit and it seemed to want to go in this way for me:

In the above picture, note the generous use of cable ties to hold everything motionless (and "rattle-less"), and also just to make things nice and tidy and close to the bike.
That's all there is to installing the PCV itself. The other nice thing about the way this is installed is that the USB port is very accessible at the top of the module in this picture. You need to think about this when putting it all together.
Your next steps are easy... find both the front and rear O2 sensors and disconnect them. Here's the sensor for the rear cylinder:

And here's the sensor for the front cylinder:

DynoJet supplies "dead-end" connectors for closing off the harness side of both leads. Here's the rear one plugged in:

Do the same for the front one. Cable tie off the loose ends to the bike. The ends that remain and go back to your header pipes can be removed or left in place. I left mine in place and cable tied them secure.
That's all there is to it!! On a scale of 1-10 for difficulty, I'd rate it at about a 2.5, it's that easy!
As far as the software and map, Fuel Moto pre-loads the PCV with the map you request when you order the unit. Before installing my PCV, I installed the software on my laptop and hooked up the PCV to the laptop with the USB cable that's supplied with the unit. One word of note, the instructions for installing the software are not great. I have Vista on my laptop so maybe that's where the disconnect was, but I had to open an explorer window and go to the PCV folder on the disc to find the setup.exe file. Once I found that file, the rest was easy. Once the software was installed, I attached the PCV to the laptop, let it install the drivers to talk to it, then pulled in the map to look at it. I copied the map to my hard drive so I have a copy safe and sound.
RIDING IMPRESSIONS:
Once warm, throttle response was much more close to instantaneous and I'll call it much more "eager". No discernable lag and much smoother. Acceleration difference in the first 3 gears is quite noticeable. It just wants to GO now, and the bike is really fun to run up thru the RPM's. I normally don't rev up much past 3500 on the tach before shifting, but now found myself running upwards of 4500 just for the feel and thrill of it. As far as the top 3 gears, there is a difference there too, but if you look at the map, it's appareant that Fuel Moto cuts back the AFR closer to the stock ratios so you can get close to stock fuel mileage while cruising in 5th or 6th.
As far as feel, there seems to be less vibration going up thru the gears and while cruising. The "detonating" sound/feel... that percussive slapping of the pistons is all but gone now, and the engine just feels "tuned", it just wants to run now and it runs smoother. The throttle is fun to twist now, so I gotta watch my speed limit closer now. I'm sure if I keep riding like this my gas mileage will suffer, but you know... I really don't care.
All in all, this is probably the best $311 I've spent on the bike since I bought it. I'm eager to see now how the engine heat will feel this summer compared with last summer, and how different it will be when I hook up a loaded Bushtec trailer for a long weekend.
I can hardly wait!
PM me if you'd like more info or have questions!
EGK

Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post. All I can say is if you bought your '07 new "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?"

I put mine on the second day I had it. What a difference. As for as gas milage, I'm like you, who cares. But I got to admit, I can't help playing with my maps on this thing. Got one for town riding, one for long trips, and one in between.

I've been going to do the trailer thing. I've built one of the "Harbor Freight" trailers but haven't put the hitch on my bike yet. Also I'm sure likeing that "classic" trailer that Bustec makes that matches the Ultra. But, dang it's pricey.

Good write up again, That'll get just about anyone off the fence that doesn't think they can do the mod.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really nice post thanks.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
The instructions that come with the PCV for an '07 install are somewhat confusing in that Fuel moto includes the instructions for installing a PC III into an '07 touring model, plus they send the instructions for installing a PC V into an '09 Softail. The '07 Touring instructions are all you'll need, unless you are going to install the Autotune Kit, which I did not.
Thanks for the good write-up!

The reason for the two sets of instructions is that DynoJet has no instructions for bikes earlier than '09 and Fuel Moto is selling the PCV for earlier bikes as "retrofit kits." The PCV mounts in the same manner and location as the PCIII so that's why the PCIII instructions are included for these bikes. Probably the only reason the PCV instructions for '09 Softails are included at all is for the Auto-Tune info that's contained therein. As the OP suggested, it is really very easy despite the mildly confusing dual instructions. No one should be intimidated as it really is plug-and-play.

An important note here... you have minimal clearance between all this stuff and the side cover. Keep everything as close to the ECU as you can when installing and periodically try installing your side cover to make sure it will still snap on. I even went so far as to make sure that the "****" ends of the cable ties were not sticking out but were flush with the connectors or other parts.
If you think that's bad, try stuffing the PCV plus two AT modules in the same space. It can be done, but it's really tight. Also, to others reading this, keep in mind that some '08 and '09 bikes will fit the PCV under the seat, and definitely those with ABS.

For those interested in the PCV with AT on an '02-'07 FLH, you can read my write-up here.

That's all there is to installing the PCV itself. The other nice thing about the way this is installed is that the USB port is very accessible at the top of the module in this picture. You need to think about this when putting it all together.
Good point, and I'd like to suggest leaving the USB cable connected. Route it outside the side cover and store it somewhere like a saddlebag guard bag. When you need to plug into the computer, pull the cable our of the bag and connect without removing the saddlebag or side cover.

One word of note, the instructions for installing the software are not great. I have Vista on my laptop so maybe that's where the disconnect was, but I had to open an explorer window and go to the PCV folder on the disc to find the setup.exe file. Once I found that file, the rest was easy. Once the software was installed, I attached the PCV to the laptop, let it install the drivers to talk to it, then pulled in the map to look at it. I copied the map to my hard drive so I have a copy safe and sound.
Most systems should "autostart" the CD when it is inserted. I have autostart disabled and had to run Setup like the OP.

Last edited by iclick; 02-15-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
valleyrider
Cruiser

Great pics and write-up. I have been undecided between the PCIII & PCV. You have just convenced me to get the PCV. I did not know it was so easy to install.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, will the PCV work on an 05 EGC? I'm not interested in the Auto Tune. Thinking of finally going with Fuelmoto's kit, PC, AC & Jackpots. Bike is currently stock.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by valleyrider
Great pics and write-up. I have been undecided between the PCIII & PCV. You have just convenced me to get the PCV. I did not know it was so easy to install.
Definitely get the PCV. Scroll down this page for info on the enhancements, perhaps the most important of which is being able to upgrade to AT if you want to in the future. I think it costs $20 more than the PCIII at Fuel Moto.

Last edited by iclick; 02-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by db2753
Guys, will the PCV work on an 05 EGC? I'm not interested in the Auto Tune. Thinking of finally going with Fuelmoto's kit, PC, AC & Jackpots. Bike is currently stock.
Yes, it'll work on anything from '02 on up.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
Definitely get the PCV. Scroll down this page for info on the enhancements, perhaps the most important of which is being able to upgrade to AT if you want to in the future. I think it costs $20 more than the PCIII at Fuel Moto.
Yep, just $20 more. A no-brainer.
BTW, thanks again to Mr. iclick for all his great threads!
Just passing it along, iclick!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Thread...

Quick Reply: PCV Install & First Impressions on my '07 UC