Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler: HD Premium or JAGG 10 Row?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Im running a Jagg with a manual cut off. Its mounted below the voltage regulator mainly due to running lowers, but could easily be mounted to the down tube of the frame should one choose to do so, offering more air flow through it. The manual cut off adds to the price but offers you the ability to turn off the cooler in cooler weather and should you suffer damage to the cooler where your loosing oil, it would benefit there also.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you guys that mention the fans, are not into the goofy looking parade fan that Harley makes, some guys swear by them. Just my 2 cents

Old 02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
US Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra Cool makes a cooler with a fan. Pretty pricey though. I don't know if they're using a proprietary cooler or not so I can't comment on oil pressure. From the looks of their web site they will offer a fan for use with your own cooler shortly.
www.ultracoolfl.com

Last edited by US Rider; 02-16-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
As for me, I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and our weather is consistantly warm enough thoughout the year that the tstat is probably less of a necessity than it would be for someone who lives in colder climates.
I live on about the same latitude in S. LA. Regardless of the air temperature the engine will take longer to attain normal operating temperature when a cooler is installed without a t'stat or bypass valve. Obviously warmer air will make this less of a problem, but it still exists. Every oil cooler that I'm aware of that's factory-installed on cars and MC's is equipped with a t'stat. I've had five turbo cars with coolers and all of them had t'stats, as does a friends BMW MC. There must be a reason if the manufacturers want to add an expensive piece of hardware like this from the factory. If not necessary the bean counters would've nixed it in the planning stage.

Last edited by iclick; 02-16-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by US Rider
Ultra Cool makes a cooler with a fan. Pretty pricey though. I don't know if they're using a proprietary cooler or not so I can't comment on oil pressure. From the looks of their web site they will offer a fan for use with your own cooler shortly.
www.ultracoolfl.com
It'd be nice to see a diagram or explanation of how it works. Does it have a thermostat? How does the air flow when the fan is on?

I'll have to keep an eye on this one, as I'd like to see their retrofit fan kit when it is ready.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sincecrazy
Im running a Jagg with a manual cut off. Its mounted below the voltage regulator mainly due to running lowers, but could easily be mounted to the down tube of the frame should one choose to do so, offering more air flow through it. The manual cut off adds to the price but offers you the ability to turn off the cooler in cooler weather and should you suffer damage to the cooler where your loosing oil, it would benefit there also.
When the cooler is mounted low, where do you put the bypass valve? Can you reach it while riding?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the manual valve I believe you close it before you start the motor and keep it closed while you run through the warm-up. Last thing before you get on is open it up and ride. It's located down close to the cooler so reaching it while mounted isn't an option. Unless you got creative with hose routing anyway..

Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US Rider
www.ultracoolfl.com

i have seen it. i would us it. but getting info on it is hard.
i have asked about presure drop, got no answer that made scence.
i asked about rows, thay said 21?? that thing is small
i asked foe any real world reviews, they said they were working on that. and i never heard back.

and i asked on 2 boards if anyone has used or seen one and no one has

so i took that as a sign.

i heard from jag today , they have 2 options for my 09 ultra with the fact i will go rideing when it is 105+degs in the summer.

2 -10 row coolers, 1 low and the other hi mount.
or a 14 row that i could fab up some mounting brackets for. i will add fans to eaither one i do.

Last edited by ranman469; 02-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Has anyone use the "OIL BUD"?

http://www.budsbikerparts.net/theoilbud.html

I kind of like that idea. A little pricey as well however.

Beary

Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil Bud looks interesting but they're sure proud of that thing. It also seems like it would be awfully vulnerable although their video mentions 7k miles under a test bike and specifically say that rocks don't bother it. I'm not sure I'm convinced.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler: HD Premium or JAGG 10 Row?