Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler: HD Premium or JAGG 10 Row?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American Iron just finished a three part article on oil coolers (October, November, December 2008 if you're interested. I just purchased the back issues). The only one's they talked about were the HD and Jagg units, mainly because they're the only one's that offered the turbulated flow feature to improves efficiency. According to them, the cooling capacities of both units are so close as to not be worth mentioning. The Jagg was better at retaining oil pressure which is what gave them the nod. Jagg's web site, http://www.jagg.com/jagg%20files/jag...ges/cooler.htm does list a thermostat adaptor but the non-thermostat unit is the one marked "recommended" when you go through the drop down list while ordering. Personally, I'd prefer to have the thermostat but after reading what's been said here, I'm starting to wonder about that.

FWIW!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

I have a HD cooler with thermostat on my 94 Lowrider and the HD premium built-in thermostat on my 07 SG. I think they work great and am glad I have them. Coolers are a very controversial topic, I for one believe in them and consider them cheap insurance. No matter which brand you go with HD or Jagg, you'll be pleased.

Mark.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Personally, I'd prefer to have the thermostat but after reading what's been said here, I'm starting to wonder about that.
Thanks for the info on the test. As for the t'stat, I don't know why Jagg de-emphasizes them so much, as IMO they are important. A friend had trouble with two new Jagg t'stats, which may be an anomaly, but I haven't heard any testimonials about problems with the HD unit. I would be very surprised if Jagg was consistently putting out bad t'stats, as their design is hardly rocket science and many cars and MC companies use t'stats for coolers on their stock vehicles.

If you don't go with a t'stat I would certainly install a Jagg bypass valve to manually control the flow.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone ever mounted 2 jag coolers??
and what about fans for them?

it is hot here in the summer

Last edited by ranman469; 02-15-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: beer and typeing
Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
Thanks for the info on the test. As for the t'stat, I don't know why Jagg de-emphasizes them so much, as IMO they are important. A friend had trouble with two new Jagg t'stats, which may be an anomaly, but I haven't heard any testimonials about problems with the HD unit. I would be very surprised if Jagg was consistently putting out bad t'stats, as their design is hardly rocket science and many cars and MC companies use t'stats for coolers on their stock vehicles.

If you don't go with a t'stat I would certainly install a Jagg bypass valve to manually control the flow.
Understood. Jagg's site states that the t'stat is good for at least 10,000 cycles for whatever that's worth. I'd also hope that your friends problems are the exception rather than the rule. No one in this conversation has reported any problems with the HD unit although that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

As for me, I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and our weather is consistantly warm enough thoughout the year that the tstat is probably less of a necessity than it would be for someone who lives in colder climates.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Jagg 10 row and no T stat here. bikes comes up to operating temp the same time as it did before the cooler, about 10 to 12 miles on the average. IMO these motors have no trouble building heat.......lets face it thier air cooled. The rather small volume of oil that the actual cooler holds will have no affect on oil warm up time.

Valid concens have been stated regarding the burn off of moisture and contaminants. This will be accomplished regardless of the T stat or not. If your scoot is used in frigid or very cold climates and rides are short in length.........use your cage or install the T stat. Just my 2c's.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Jag after talking to their reps. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Of course they were selling, but he information appeared valid. I'm happy.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ranman469
has anyone ever mounted 2 jag coolers??
and what about fans for them?
I called Jagg about dual coolers just last week for the second time, the first time being about a year ago. I wanted to see if their answers were consistent and they were. They said it would be overkill in most situations and that they would increase drag on the oil pump, especially when used in combo with the HD cooler, which they say is more restrictive than theirs.

I've mounted cooler fans twice on this bike and removed them for the last time two weeks ago. In the absence of a source for waterproof fans of the right size I used the best computer fans I could find, and they worked fine for about nine months until the circuit began intermittently blowing fuses when the fans were activated. Rather than trace the source of the short I pulled the fans out, as they were becoming a hassle. Cleaning the cooler is more difficult with a fan in the way, for example. They worked to some degree when the bike was not moving but mostly just slowed the ascent of oil temperatures a bit when there was no airflow over the cooler. Coolers do cool when the bike isn't moving through convection, but unless you can find some waterproof fans I wouldn't recommend bothering with it.

Last edited by iclick; 02-15-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
unless you can find some waterproof fans I wouldn't recommend bothering with it.
How 'bout these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories
Anyone try these yet?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:44 AM
ranman469
Road Master

has anyone used the 14 row?

here is what i plan on using SPAL Low Profile 12v Electric Fans, just have to figure the size. hopefully this one will fit 5.2" Motorcycle/ATV Fan (Pull only) (# 30103011)
from http://www.absoluteradiator.com/FanStore.asp

i found the sizes
10 row 4x81/2
14 row 5x81/2

i`m going to try to find a way to mount the 14 row with at least 1 of the 5.2" fans

Last edited by ranman469; 02-16-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: found a link

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler: HD Premium or JAGG 10 Row?