Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the H*ll do you get the RG fairing back on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
sortasuave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the H*ll do you get the RG fairing back on?

I'm helping a friend out. We were able to get the RG fairing off, but can't get it back on. We see the two hooks your suppose to hang the light bracket off of but can't seem to hit the mark.

What F**k is the trick?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Rusty762
Intermediate

Look at the inside of the fairing, then look at the two vertical steel L brackets that the fairing rest on. You have to slide the fairing in head on and above the brackets and as the vertical mounts come into the slots on the fairing then push down...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

It takes patience until you get the hang of it so you dont fock chit up. Try taking the headlight assembly out by pinching the 4 green tabs on the inside (you can just push it back in when your done)
Now you will be able to see and feel the hooks go in place, just watch the edges of the fairing so you dont break the side tabs or scratch it on the speakers. If you get intimidated walk away and come back later. Once you do it once or twice and dont strip the screws it will be a piece f cake

Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on taking out the headlight, makes it much easier! I always thought the headlight should be able to be taken out from the front myself! Are you listening Harley?

Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Duct tape?

LOL...buddy has a RG...fairing was a pain.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Remove the headlight bucket as mentioned and it's a piece of cake.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I normally use a big hammer,,,,,,,,,,really you need to remove the headlights. Also if there is a rubber cap on the end of the headlight adjustment screw I would recommend removing the cap and discard it. Sometimes this cap will slide down over the threads causing the shaft of the adjustment screw to be too large, which will keep the headlight from snapping back in. Also, dont tighten the torx screws around the fairing very much, or you could pull the threads from the plastic.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I just eyeball were the hooks are then just push the fairing down.Never had to remove the headlight.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 AM
sortasuave
Tourer

Thanks guys...

My buddy was starting to panic... We'd taken the fairing off to install a set of hogtunes speakers I had sitting around. After a beer, no response on this thread, I did another 20 min worth of searching and found a thread that talked about this "problem" and suggested the headlight removal process. That seemed to work, However, I gotta say, it was still a real pain to get the sides to line up correctly. The fins they use to hold it all in alignment are a real pain to get put together correctly.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sincecrazy
I normally use a big hammer,,,,,,,,,,really you need to remove the headlights. Also if there is a rubber cap on the end of the headlight adjustment screw I would recommend removing the cap and discard it. Sometimes this cap will slide down over the threads causing the shaft of the adjustment screw to be too large, which will keep the headlight from snapping back in. Also, dont tighten the torx screws around the fairing very much, or you could pull the threads from the plastic.
Is that a ball peen hammer?

Quick Reply: How the H*ll do you get the RG fairing back on?