Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding ABS to a 2008 EG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Adding ABS to a 2008 EG?

I don't know if this has been discussed. If so I couldn't find it. Is it possible to add ABS to the newer bikes? Mine is a 2008 FLHT and I have been thinking more about the fact that I should have gotten the bike with ABS. Especially since the lady in the minivan pulled out in front of me the other morning. I assume it is possible but pricey. Has anyone done it or know what it would involve?

Thanks, Dennis

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM
SeattleBiker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess anything is POSSIBLE but this would be very difficult and expensive. There'd be the ABS computer and hydraulics, plumbing, and calipers. I believe the ABS sensors are built into the wheel bearings. The shop manual shows a different wiring diagram for ABS models so the harness must be different.

Much cheaper/easier to trade for an ABS model. Or live with what you have.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Seattle said it is possible, but I wouldn't trust anyone but the factory to install it correctly and I doubt they'd do it for you. If they did agree to do it for you it'd probably cost more than just trading yours in on one with ABS.

Maybe down the road they'll make a retrofit kit. Who knows?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

it will cost big bucks your better off trading in your bike for a abs model-ride safe

Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool 2008 EG - to ABS or not to ABS

That is actually what I thought. I never really thought much about it until recently. I have been riding more years than I care to remember and consider myself fairly proficient however, the other morning a lady pulled out in front of me on a rain slick road at 45 mph when I was about 50 feet from her. That led to an exciting few moments during which time I contemplated my choice of a bike without ABS.

I know that an experienced rider under controlled conditions can stop a bike witout ABS more quickly than that same bike with ABS HOWEVER, that wasn't a controlled condition and even the most experienced riders can put the brakes on a little too hard under unexpected conditions.

In case anyone is wondering, I realized that I would not be able to stop the bike. I had the front brakes on just up to the point of sliding and the rear brakes just past that point when I realized that I wouldn't make it. There was an oncoming car but I decide to gas it instead. I passed her probably within two feet and cut back as soon as I went by safely getting back to my lane before (but just) the other car met us. too close for comfort but the LORD was with me and I thanked him for keeping me safe.

I do beleive I will have ABS on my next bike if I get one. This 08 will probably last for quite a while. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
ben67zl1
Cruiser

While not ABS have heard good things about TCB brakes, basically does not allow wheels to lock up, has different set points, and at a $100 A WHEEL, just an alternative!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I know that an experienced rider under controlled conditions can stop a bike witout ABS more quickly than that same bike with ABS HOWEVER, that wasn't a controlled condition and even the most experienced riders can put the brakes on a little too hard under unexpected conditions.
I have heard this before and I don't believe anyone could stop a bike without ABS quicker than he could with it. Unless he could pump the brakes, both at the same time, like 50 times a second. The bikes with ABS come with a DVD that explain how they work, and in controlled conditions the bike stopped much quicker with ABS on their test courses.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Motor Company says that ABS is not able to be installed on non ABS bikes.
Now if you can do it somehow, great.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
EriCal
Cruiser

I purchased a 09 RK last year but did not opt for ABS because my treasured 95 RK and my Wife's 07 RK do not have ABS. I did not want to generate any ABS-based habits that might come back to haunt me when I ride one of the non-ABS equipped bikes.

Eric

Old 02-13-2009, 05:30 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Like others have said, if you can afford to trade the bike for one with ABS, that would be the only way to be sure that it would work perfectly when it really makes the big difference. Personally, I would never consider trying to add ABS to any vehicle - there's way too much at stake when you really need it.

Good luck and ride safe out there!

John

Quick Reply: Adding ABS to a 2008 EG?