Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How's my tool bag look?
Sweet! Looks cool and matches the bags nicely.
20.00%
Eh, its ok. You gotta do what you gotta do.
37.33%
Hey, that looks like complete $H!T. I'm embarrassed for you.
8.00%
I like pie.
34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Tool pouch location...need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by HHI Dave
Also, I'm aware that I could carry tools in my saddlebags, but I'm trying to conserve that space, dedicating it to clothing and items for 2-up road trips. And, I have a windshield bag too, but that is used for small items like glasses and gloves. Also, I take the windshield off most of the time for around town riding.
So, what do you guys think?
It looks OK, but I'd be worried about tools flying out of there everytime you hit a good bump or the entire bag breaking loose. If you're on smooth roads, no problem, but if you ride on bumpy roads......

Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good but aren't you afraid of loosing the tools being the bag is not locked and has easy quick access.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

It's your bike, do what you want.
I'll bet you'll move it sooner or later.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

For years mine hung under headlight on Superglides,now that same pouch resides in my hard bags on Road King.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile high king View Post
Here is another idea, that I think is cleaner. I too wanted my tool pouch on the rear, but not taking up any room on the passenger seat or in the saddlebags. I also have a detachable backrest and luggage rack, so the mounting location had to accomodate that. Here is how I made it work. You won't be able to see all this detail from the (lower left, blow up the thumbnail) picture, but I basically replaced the 2 big lower bolts that hold the license plate frame to the tubular chrome fender rail with extra long bolts with spacer tubes (sorry don't remember the length. That basically moved the entire licence plate back far enought to 1) allow the toolbag to fit under the detachable backrest when it was on and 2) keep it from being forward so far that it contacted the fender. To hold the bag to the license plate bracket, I simply used the top 2 license plate bolts to go through holes I drilled in the toolbag. It works perfect in achieving both those things. A plus over your design is that it keeps it up away from road grime. (BTW, I happen to use a Windzone HD tool kit and it is mounted in a RiverRoad tool bag)
NICE !
i wonder if it would affect placement of my SAC travel bag that slips over detachable passenger backrest..at present bag rests on license plate frame.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
What about the paint on the fender? Any way.
TOOLS? We don't need no stinking tools!
Those are for Knucks,Pans, and Shovels.
Sportys are another matter altogther.
+1 on messing up your paint, that will rub. I have seen a lisc. bracket that has a sm plate attached that would be just what you need. I've looked and can't find it but your HD parts guy should know.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer

Originally Posted by piasspj
It's your bike, do what you want.
I'll bet you'll move it sooner or later.
Yep, moved it sooner rather than later.

Thanks to mile high king for the idea. Pics to follow.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 AM
HHI Dave
Tourer

Ok, many thanks to Mile High King.

I went with his mounting location. I went to the hardware store today and bought 3" stainless bolts and 2 galvanized steel pipes, which was the only thing that I could find that would work. Also some small bolts and large flat washers that are used inside the bag. Due to the location of the fastex buckles on the bag, I couldn't use the license plate holes, so the bag is bolted to the license plate frame at the top. The license plate is attached to the frame with the red reflector bolts seen at the bottom. I will be finding something to fill the empty holes up top soon.

Looks like mine might be located a bit further back than Mile High Kings. I'm waiting for a luggage rack that I ordered. It should be here Monday. Its the Motherwell MWL-475 that bolts directly to the passenger backrest. I think its going to clear, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The first pic is a test fit, the second and third are the finished pics.

Last edited by HHI Dave; 02-14-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Raventhik
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HHI Dave
Ok, if 25 years of riding have taught me anything, its that you should always bring along tools on a road trip. Sockets, allens, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, electrical tape, zip ties, etc.

That said, I spent the better part of the afternoon trying to find a place to hang this leather tool pouch on my bike. I wanted to hang it under the headlight but just couldn't keep it from resting on the front fender.

I also tried the frame downtubes but it was too bulky, and more importantly, it blocked airflow to the front cylinder.

So, in the end I chose the location seen in the pics. I just can't decide if it works for me or not.

Also, I'm aware that I could carry tools in my saddlebags, but I'm trying to conserve that space, dedicating it to clothing and items for 2-up road trips. And, I have a windshield bag too, but that is used for small items like glasses and gloves. Also, I take the windshield off most of the time for around town riding.

So, what do you guys think?

Where did u get your bag?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer

Originally Posted by Raventhik
Where did u get your bag?
Waterproof PVC Dual Buckled Strap Motorcycle Windshield Bag

Quick Reply: Tool pouch location...need some opinions.