Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Miami Feb 16-18 Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Riding Miami Feb 16-18 Need advice

Doing a HOG Fly & Ride in the Miami area starting Monday, Feb 16 and returning the afternoon on the 18th --- Any advice on MUST see or Stay the Hell away from??

Looking at riding the Keys down to Key west - just to say I 'was there'

any other places YOU would ride to??

This will be our 5th fly and ride around the country... Live in Northern Ca and have toured all of the Western states... In April we will set out for a 6 week ride West to East then back...

harley0711@yahoo.com

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM
cigarmutt
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I live in Broward County, the one north of Miami. IMHO, not much in Miami, except traffic, the beach is nice, but again, lots of traffic and idiots in cages. Just did the Key west trip again 2 weeks ago, great trip. Make sure you hit all the stops....Last Chance Saloon, Tiki Bar, Loreli's and Alabama Jacks on card sound road. Have a safe trip.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Last Chance is at the top (Florida City) of the 18 mile stretch, nothing special but if you are an “I was there” kind of guy you might as well stop.

Save Card Sound Road for the trip back and take the stretch (US 1) down. There is a new bridge over Jew Fish Creek and you will enjoy the view.

Stop at the World Wide Sportsman (Islamorada, near MM 81, on right) and take a look at the replica of Hemmingway’s sport fisherman. They have a restaurant/bar on the second floor, get an outside table and order the lobster salad sandwich.

You can do the No Name Pub (Big Pine) just to look at the dollar bills either on the way down or the way back. Forget the pizza that everyone raves about, it’s not very good. Get directions, you will need them.

When in Key West:

A/ Have lunch at BO’s Fish Wagon.
B/ Go to the Schooner Warf Bar during the afternoon.
C/ Have dinner at Manga Manga on Southard Street or Santiago’s at 207 Petronia St.

If you are there on Friday or Saturday do sunset on the roof of La Concha, music by Larry and Dora. At night they add a bass and drums and become the Muse Gurus, absolutely the best rock and roll/blues in Key West. You can ask where they will be that night when you see them at sunset but they are usually at the Bull on Friday and Saturday from 10 PM – 2 AM, catch the first set.

On the way home bear right at MM 106 and take Card Sound Road. Just past the toll booth (on right) is Alabama Jacks, good for lunch or at least a cold beer.

Some people will suggest the Caribbean Club in Key Largo. I have nothing against the place but it is nothing special and the movie Key Largo was filmed on a sound stage in Hollywood.

Last edited by SA315B; 02-12-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Take a gun and paint your bike florescent orange and add blinking lights. If your gonna park it anywhere find a sturdy poll and use a log chain. Have a nice trip.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
axe11
Cruiser

Hello harley0711,

I lived in Plantation and Sunrise FL of Broward County for 10 years while going to graduatge school in Miami, and I can definitely confirm exactly what cigarmutt, SA315B and carpetride said; they are flat *** perfect on the deal. I would add a special emphasis on the traffic situation, however, because "brutal" is an understatement, especially on 1-95 so be careful. Though, if you do cruise down i-95, be sure you enter upon it in Broward instead of Dade County and select your lanes--best one in from the left, inside commuter lane as this will help you from merging traffic issues. Once you're at the end of I-95 at downtown Miami, you might want to consider a little visit to Coconut Grove and have lunch, nice little piece of Miami town. Of mention I would tell you about cutting through the upper Glades on US 41 and going across and up into Naples and around, but you're fitting best for the Keys run. You will enjoy it as the weather is ideal, temperature wise. Just remember the traffic is almost always a sum' bitch. Ride safe and enjoy your visit.

axe11

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone is right on good advise from harley0711.But if your taking 95 be sure your gassed up between golden glades and 836 if you take that route do not get off and ask for directions or gas.You could have a rude awakening.better to take 826west(palmetto)on the north end it wil take you all the way south if your going to the keys.That way you could overlook what carpetride said.I live here and dont ride on i95 unless i have to.Except early sunday maybe.

Last edited by rick; 02-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
mwriggs
Cruiser

The ride across Alligator is alley is relaxing...

Hey Axe11, I lived in Plantation in 1971-74, back when there was a seperation between towns. Now it is one big a$$ town on the East Coast. Lived in Davey also, on a dirt road. Now I cant even recognize the place.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
axe11
Cruiser

O man, the contrast between then in the 70's and the mid 80's, enough to make a home-grown Floridian sick as a dog. I liived in Hollywood 71' to 72', another a College stint, and then back down to the area but in Plantation from 86' to 88' and Sunrise from 89' to 96'. The build-up difference was gut wrenching compared to those pristine days of the early 70's. That was especially so for me and my Dad as we fished South Florida like no one I've ever known then or since so we really knew and felt the pain of the development devastation. I still love South Florida and go back often; we have so many friends down there. But man will I ever miss those beautiful pristine days back when.

axe11

Old 02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
mwriggs
Cruiser

I cant begin to count the fish I caught out of those canals in Broward County. Its what started my 'Bass Fishing'.... I fish Tx's on Saturdays and ride on Sunday's as well to work and back. Back then we went to a church in Margate, and that was like going to the 'country'. I miss those days. I went to Plantation High School, and lived right across from the P.A.L. field where they had football games and baseball games.

Sorry to hijack the thread........

Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've lived in the sarasota county area since 1982. Came down from Ill. This side is not as bad as the east as far as development but its growing fast. Used to be able too catch nice grouper 5-6 miles out in the gulf. Now you have to go out about 40....sucks

Quick Reply: Riding Miami Feb 16-18 Need advice