Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide & Tall Rider Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Kodiak276
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide & Tall Rider Problem

I've ridden an 05 Heritage Classic for 3 yrs now and it fit's like a glove. I really like the 09 SG, so I test rode a one last Sat. but was very disappointed in the fit as I rode it. I am 6'4" with a 34 inch inseam, and I felt very cramped. Most of the posts I see are from shorter riders, 5'6"-6'0"(no offense intended). Any taller 09 SG owners have the same problem and what seats(or anything else) have you found that helps this situation? I also have to think about putting a removable back rest on it so when I ride two up with my wife she's comfy too. This will also mean she'll need more than a narrrow strip of foam under her as well. Any help will be appreciated. She's given me the go ahead to get a SG but if I can't be comfortable when I ride then I'll stick with my Heritage, but I really like the SG...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

heritage is way smaller, you can get a corbin seat extended floorboards, countless other things to make a streetglide fit you

Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came from a Softail Custom (forward controls). Not tall but 6ft and 34 inseam.
I had exactly the same issues when I bought my StreetGlide. I hated it for the first week.
Thought my knees were too high and I was to far forward.

All I can say is give it a little saddle time. Now I feel it fits just fine, just took some getting used to. Did drop the bars down a little and added the drivers backrest. Other than that go out to a parking lot and do some ride like a pro practice. Before you know it, it will start feeling right.

Also added some nice big highway pegs which helps a bunch when on long rides.....if you can put up with the wind coming under the batwing.

Bottom line - give it a little more seat time before you make any huge changes. Have been cross country with the stock seat and it was fine. Backrest is a must.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Get a different seat that pushes you back some. Still not enough, get Mean City Cycles to reshape the seat anyway you want it.

Get the floorboard brackets that move the boards outward.

Get some crash bar peg mounts and pegs so you can stretch your legs out.

That should do it................

Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

I'm 6'4" with a 34 inseam too. I felt the seat on my 07 Ultra and 04 FLHT pushed me to far forward and my knees felt too high. A Mustang solo seat helped, but I ended up getting highway pegs and keep my feet on them 95% of the time.

I just bought an 09 Ultra (April delivery). I was planning to have Mean City Cycles reshape the seat to set me back a few inches, but according to their web site, they can't modify the seat position rearward on the 09s. Looks like I'll be getting another Mustang seat.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3 and roughly 33in inseam. I have a 08, and it doesnt feel cramped to me! I have sat on the EGC and other full dressers and they seem to fit me way to forward! I like the Street Glide and all I changed was I put some highway pegs on it. Now if you were stating that you were trying to get rid of the buffering from under the fairing I would have to agree with you... still havent found a solution!

Good luck with your choice!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
lerc 88
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6'3" as well. I came from a wide glide with forward controls and felt really crmaped. It got even worse with a riders backrest. I bent the backrest to allow me to lean back a little more and you will get used to it after a while. The mustands seats put you a little closer than stock. You may want to look at a tallboy seat.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

6'3" here. I felt the same when I purchased mine in '08. After a few hundred miles it started to feel right. I use a Sundowner seat for the longer trips and am putting 13" bars on this winter. Considering footboard extenders.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
roadking 3239
Intermediate

I'm 6'5" and just installed floor board extenders ( 1" forward, 1" out ). I have'nt had a chance to actually ride her yet (Michigan) but it feels alot roomyer than before. I also installed an extended brake pedal which gets my foot from underneath the thing. It probably does'nt help that I use a low profile, slammed seat, but she looks bad as hell !!!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not tall but I had the same feeling. I'm 5'10" so I can only imagine how you felt. I came frome a bike with forward controls. The touring bike really has a different rider position that takes some getting used to. You can get a different seat that will move you back. Highway pegs also help to stretch out. I rest my heels on the boards and my toes on the pegs. I feel stretched out now. I also have a C&C seat it moved me down and back. You will definitely need a taller windshield.

Quick Reply: 09 Street Glide & Tall Rider Problem