Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding eliminating one front rotor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
kurtlange
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatguyona1000
You don't lose 50% of your braking power by removing 1 of your rotors. If you remove one front stock rotor, you are really only taking away appoximately 20% of your original dual front brake efficiency. So you are now at 80% of your original efficiency on the front brakes. If you remove the remaining stock rotor, caliper, lines and master cylinder and replace all of that with better performing/quality equipment (single rotor), you can increase your bikes original braking performance by 40%. That's a 20% increase in braking efficiency over the stock dual system with a single rotor.
you'll need to show your math on this one and where you're getting your figures.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to email some companies on this very topic.

What would you naysayers be satisfied with?
Brembo?
PM?
Hawg Halters?

All 3?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info. I'm going with single 13" disc and a pm caliper. I'm gonna check them out at bike week, and see exactly what I'll need.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kurtlange
you'll need to show your math on this one and where you're getting your figures.
I did the math in my post. It was a hypotheticl formula and I stated from the get go that they weren't scientific quotes quoted from scientists, but they are references from people I respected on the boards. Now, you can take any information you get from anyone on any message forum with a grain of salt.

I never claimed to be an expert, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn. Maybe Piggy can get some real scientific expert analysis on the subject. He seems to know his stuff and who to call, so I'm eager to hear what he can find out. But, I'm already convinced, if done right that I can improve my braking with a single rotor setup.

Last edited by fatguyona1000; 02-16-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile The final Word

I could go into braking force required for a given weight at a given speed at a given distance but that would require three to four pages and would be very boring. Bottom line, singal 13 inch brake, exellent, dual stock brake better, dual 13 inch set up, best.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
103Lee
Intermediate

You don't lose 50% of your braking power by removing 1 of your rotors. I've been following this debate for about 7 years. On the Gixxer forums guys were slamming and chroming out their Hayabusas and going to a single front rotor to show off their chrome wheels. Of course people would call them crazy (I was one of them) and the debate began. And its even more so for sportbikes, because the majority of their braking power is in the front brakes. On our big tourers its a little more evenly distributed.

I remember some people chiming in on those threads that were considered forum gurus (knowledgable folks who worked in the industry). I don't remember the exact numbers, but the explanation went something like this:

If you remove one front stock rotor, you are really only taking away appoximately 20% of your original dual front brake efficiency. So you are now at 80% of your original efficiency on the front brakes. If you remove the remaining stock rotor, caliper, lines and master cylinder and replace all of that with better performing/quality equipment (single rotor), you can increase your bikes original braking performance by 40%. That's a 20% increase in braking efficiency over the stock dual system with a single rotor.
You mention the Hayabusa-a skilled rider won't have the rear wheel on the ground in a panic stop , leaving a total of two rotors. Eliminate one and you have 50% left. If you don't change the master cylinder you have less than that. Brake area and pad/rotor material determine your stopping ability. Truly , the 80% figure is suspect to me.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me get this straight; you're saying if you replace the single rotor with better parts you're going to gain 20% more over stock dual Brmebo's which equals out to 120% stopping power with a single? I can't see that man.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

First, keep in mind my original post, I don't rember the exact numbers, I just used these numbers to relay what I remember.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the explanation went something like this:

Please remember that I'm also not claiming to be an expert or have all the facts. If I haven't made that clear, I apologize and let me state it again here. But I have paid attention to this old debate for a few years and am willing to share what little bits of information I can recall that has led me to believe that a proper single rotor setup is as good, if not, better than Harley's touring dual setup. If someone has facts to prove me wrong, by all means, post and help settle this debate.

Originally Posted by 103Lee
You mention the Hayabusa-a skilled rider won't have the rear wheel on the ground in a panic stop , leaving a total of two rotors. Eliminate one and you have 50% left. If you don't change the master cylinder you have less than that. Brake area and pad/rotor material determine your stopping ability. Truly , the 80% figure is suspect to me.
And I'm familiar with the rear braking of the sportbikes and its irrelevance when needing to come to a quick stop from speed. I've spent many years and many miles on sportbikes from all the big 4 manufacturers. I was just using the Hayabusa as an example of someone who relies on the performance of the front brake even more than we do, that went to a single rotor.

I know that conventional wisdom will tell you that if you have two of something and you take 1 away, you now have 50% less of what you had before. But you are already creating friction with one rotor, so the 2nd rotor cannot duplicate the innitial performance of the first, it can only "compliment" it so to speak. Make sense? I wish I would have saved the links to that stuff back then.

Also, everyone that I have heard from that has switched to a quality single setup (i.e. master cylinder, lines, caliper, and rotor) has stated that they have improved braking. Of course they could be lying for whatever reason, but I've never seen a post or talked to someone in the flesh that said they missed the performance of their old dual setup.

Now, after BadPiggy emailed PM and HHI and I saw the response from HHI about brake fade and the single rotor having to work harder - rather than duals sharing the workload - that's another thing to consider.

This is just one of those things where you have to think outside the box. I'm very interested in the facts. I mean, the reason is out there so I want to know the reasons so I can counter them, or realize that I shouldn't attempt to. It was a fact that the world was flat, up until we knew it wasn't.

Originally Posted by gunner11

Let me get this straight; you're saying if you replace the single rotor with better parts you're going to gain 20% more over stock dual Brmebo's which equals out to 120% stopping power with a single? I can't see that man.
The numbers aren't exact, they were just meant to show that it's not 50-50 like conventional wisdom would suggest. I agree that it doesn't seem right at first glance. I'm really trying to keep this going because I hope that some R&D guy from a brake company will stumble in here and state some facts in laymen's terms so we/I could no exactly why Harley deemed it ok for the Heritage to run a single.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
103Lee
Intermediate

so we/I could no exactly why Harley deemed it ok for the Heritage to run a single.
Cost effectiveness and considerably less weight. A dedicated , high-performance single rotor set-up may indeed better the stopping power of the stock set-up. It's going to cost a lot of money to improve on the Brembos-in fact , it's going to cost a lot of money to equal the Brembos. You want *****-to-the-wall braking from a Harley? Get a XR1200. The Nissins on that puppy will squirt your eyeballs out when used aggressively.
Finally , a 13" cast iron rotor will work very well-the first several times-two stainless rotors will bleed off heat much more efficiently , and likely retain efficiency over more braking events. I knew a racer who could boil the brake fluid on a Buell in two laps.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile The very final word

Your answer to the heritage question is Harley designed the Soft tail line with one rotor and the Touring line with two. They probably also had to draw a line somewhere with the weight issue, Say below 700lbs single caliper, over 700 dual caliper. If all there bikes were the same you would not have much to choose from. As for specific brake questions i will try and answer then for you. EG, 6 piston caliper verses 1, 1/2 inch verses 5/8 bore master cylinder. What ever you would like to know.

Last edited by TFTCAR; 02-21-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Question regarding eliminating one front rotor.