Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding eliminating one front rotor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a little comparison of stock Softail brakes vs stock Touring brakes...

I have an 09 Road King Classic. Very good stopping power with front brake... One day I road my dad's 08 Softail Heritage (with VERY low mileage). The number one thing that I noticed was how much less braking power the Softail had. Not necessarily that it wouldn't stop "good enough", but not nearly as braking power as my RKC. Likewise, my brother who also owns an 08 Heritage, took my RKC out for a spin one day. His remark to me was that he almost killed himself (fecitiously) the first time he jammed on my front brake. He didn't expect it to stop so quickly compared to his bike.

I have no idea if the 08 Softails also have Brembo's, but I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference between the braking performand of the two bikes.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TFTCAR
You mention only 40 LBS. difference between soft tail and touring. Girlfriend 120, 2 side packs 50, tour pack and rack 50. I geuss it dependes on what your main riding will be with you road king, solo or two up.
Surely you don't think nobody on a Softail has never run like this?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Here's a little comparison of stock Softail brakes vs stock Touring brakes...

I have an 09 Road King Classic. Very good stopping power with front brake... One day I road my dad's 08 Softail Heritage (with VERY low mileage). The number one thing that I noticed was how much less braking power the Softail had. Not necessarily that it wouldn't stop "good enough", but not nearly as braking power as my RKC. Likewise, my brother who also owns an 08 Heritage, took my RKC out for a spin one day. His remark to me was that he almost killed himself (fecitiously) the first time he jammed on my front brake. He didn't expect it to stop so quickly compared to his bike.

I have no idea if the 08 Softails also have Brembo's, but I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference between the braking performand of the two bikes.
I agree 100%...there is a difference in stopping power between the 2 scoots.
When I went from a '05 Heritage Classic to '06 Street Glide, that was the very first thing I noticed.
I grabbed a handful of the binders and thought I was going to flip over.

The point that I'm trying to make is that according to MOCO, you only need 1 caliper for a 40 lb. lighter bike. Does this not seem odd?
It takes 2 calipers to stop a 780 lb. touring model and only 1 caliper to stop a 740 lb. softail?

Now, remove that single caliper from the softail and install a 6 piston caliper with a 13" rotor. Does it not even appear remotely logical that this setup is now as good, if not better than the touring bike? You've already greatly exceeded the softail's original setup. You're getting more grabbing power with a 6 piston, quicker cooling with a 13" rotor.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 PM
johnkn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the stock dual Brembo setup on my 09 StreetGlide with a single RC 13" rotor, braided line, and PM 6-piston caliper. Bike stops with one finger. Also, IMHO, if you're going to do it, do it right and shave the caliper bracket off the right lower leg.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I have twin 13 inch full floating discs on my dresser, with a 6-pot caliper on each. Would I give up one of them? Do I think that would give as good or better braking as the original set-up? No way!

This lot weighs over half a ton fully loaded. I want to be confident we can STOP

Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 AM
103Lee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Forgive me, Professor.
Rotor.

Remarkable how we get these juveniles on the internet running around trying to correct an obvious screwup, eh?
Typically, anyone with half a brain knew I was referring to a rotor.

Perhaps your half a brain is missing?
I just don't know.

Now, do you feel better about yourself?
Did correcting a screwup that anyone on this forum should have known, give you the manhood that you're lacking?
Glad I could help.

Why , exactly , should we presume you know what you're talking about? 40 lbs. difference between a FXST and a FLHTCU ? I would put the crack pipe down and think twice before getting nasty. Reading specs is all well and good-riding motorcycles is a whole 'nother world...Just my opinion.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 103Lee
Why , exactly , should we presume you know what you're talking about? 40 lbs. difference between a FXST and a FLHTCU ? I would put the crack pipe down and think twice before getting nasty. Reading specs is all well and good-riding motorcycles is a whole 'nother world...Just my opinion.
Well Nostradumbass,

You have no fear either way.
That Vespa of yours should stop fine.

How do I know what I'm talking about?
Well, I've been running the 6 piston PM / 13" rotor for 3 years.
I have just a bit of experience with both.

Anymore questions, skippy?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ANNNND INN the REDD Corrrner , weighingggg in at 180#...........................

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
103Lee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Well Nostradumbass,

You have no fear either way.
That Vespa of yours should stop fine.

How do I know what I'm talking about?
Well, I've been running the 6 piston PM / 13" rotor for 3 years.
I have just a bit of experience with both.

Anymore questions, skippy?
Nope. Skippy gives a nod to your experience.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
103Lee
Intermediate

In my meager defense , the OP didn't mention going to a high-performance single rotor set-up. Just eliminating half your braking power is a bad idea. That was what I commented on.
Skippy still cedes experience with a superior brake set-up.

Quick Reply: Question regarding eliminating one front rotor.