Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Lemon Law.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
I don't blame you for being disappointed and upset for the poor service you have gotten out of a brand new HD. I don't blame you for swearing off that particular dealer for life, but I can't imagine a bad experience with one of any brand of anything I truly love to swear me off the whole brand for life.

It sounds like to me so far that the time and gas money invested in taking the bike to the dealer again and again and the $70.00 your indy charged you to actually fix the problem is all you are out. I know it seems like alot to you, and it is, but if the bike is in good shape now and the problem is fixed, ride on and enjoy it.

Dennis
My thing is, the $70.00 should not have come out of their pocket. That's what the warranty is for. I'm about ready to send Harley the bill. This should have been fixed "properly" by them. It's not the money, it's the principal. This is one of "many years" of bad Harley dealership experiences. It seems like everytime I bring in a Harley for service, there's something they didn't do properly. I won't get into that now, too long a story. I will say, they even scratched this same brand new bike when I brought it in for the 1,000 mile check up. They had to replace the entire rear fender. They recently fired almost the entire service department. It's all new people there now, same s*** though. As far as riding, I do enjoy it, I just don't like the bad taste in my mouth left there from all my bad Harley experiences. It stays with you, permanently.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rochkes
I don't blame you for being disappointed and upset for the poor service you have gotten out of a brand new HD. I don't blame you for swearing off that particular dealer for life, but I can't imagine a bad experience with one of any brand of anything I truly love to swear me off the whole brand for life.

It sounds like to me so far that the time and gas money invested in taking the bike to the dealer again and again and the $70.00 your indy charged you to actually fix the problem is all you are out. I know it seems like alot to you, and it is, but if the bike is in good shape now and the problem is fixed, ride on and enjoy it.

Dennis
My thing is, the $70.00 should have come out of their pocket. That's what the warranty is for. I'm about ready to send Harley the bill. This should have been fixed "properly" by them. It's not the money, it's the principal. This is one of "many years" of bad Harley dealership experiences. It seems like everytime I bring in a Harley for service, there's something they didn't do properly. I won't get into that now, too long a story. I will say, they even scratched this same brand new bike when I brought it in for the 1,000 mile check up. They had to replace the entire rear fender. They recently fired almost the entire service department. It's all new people there now, same s*** though. As far as riding, I do enjoy it, I just don't like the bad taste in my mouth left there from all my bad Harley experiences. It stays with you, permanently.

Sorry I accidently posted a reply twice, I informed Admin. to delete 1.

Last edited by Dispatch; 02-12-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Accidently Posted Reply Twice.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
A total of 7 times to fix a rubbing/grinding noise in the rear wheel area. Each time they said it was the pulley out of alignment and the belt needed adjustment. Then they told me it was the belt guard rubbing. Then they told me they replaced the rear wheel bearings. Then they told me it was a loose license plate frame and saddle bag guard. Each time I'd get the bike back, I'd ride it for about 10 to 20 miles, the noise was still there. Then I'd have to take it back in again. 65 miles 1 way to the dealership (I bought the bike from). They didn't even put a priority on getting me another appointment to bring the bike back in. They made me wait 'over a week' to drop it off again. After the 4th time at the first more local Harley dealership, they told me to take it back to where you bought it. Finally, after the 7th time and 2 dealerships later, I find out from a non-Harley custom shop and $70.00 later, the rear wheel was out of alignment and the belt was way too tight. The only reason I brought it back in to the non Harley shop was my Harley dealer told me the Power Commander III I recently had put in stopped working. I had it put in by a non Harley shop on account my Harley dealer wanted to charge me $450.00 to dyno it with the new TTS module which also cost $350.00. It was working just fine when I dropped it off to Harley. The Harley dealership stated that the wiring harness was crimped by whom ever put in the Power Commander. Conveniently though, they instantly suggested that I replace it with their new TTS module. The non Harley custom shop states that the little push pins inside the plug were bent over. My question is, how the hell could that have happened upon initial installation and it still worked fine? I believe it was sabotage by the Harley mechanics as pay back. The biggest disgust was when I called the general manager after the 7th time to tell him what the non Harley shop told and charged me. He completely denied any and all responsibility that his techs were the best in the business, better than the non Harley shops mechanics and that his guys would never do such a thing. Too bad after 3 times his "best techs" could not diagnose the real problem. He actually had the audacity to say he was doing me a favor by the time and effort he had his mechanics invested in trying to find the problem. The bike isn't even a year old. It will be a full year old next month. It has 1,800 miles on it. It has a 2 year warranty. I told the general manager, did he actually think dropping the bike off all these times for me was free? 3 hours round trip to the dealer on a trailer. I don't know how much money in gas and I had to dedicate both my days off each time to drop it off and pick it up. What ***** on this guy! I wish I'd of had my final conversation with the general manager face to face. He never would have had the ***** to talk to me that way and if he did he would have found himself in a world of s***. Now I am left with a bike I no longer get the same amount of enjoyment out of, on account I am dreading having the same and or another problem arise and have to bring it to have it fixed. Hence my decision to make this my last Harley Davidson product, ever. Can you blame me? Thanks for the interest.
I fully understand....been there, done that.

There really is a thing called the last straw, huh?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, I understand that the $70 is the least of your disappointment after spending thousands on a new bike.

My closest dealer that I bought both of my new harleys from sounds alot like the one you describe here. I guess I am just lucky that I have two more hd dealers that are farther away that have very competent techs when I need them.

To make a point about the differences in dealers, I took my heritage to the dealer that I had bought it from for a 5,000 mile service and didn't even realize when I rode it in that there weren't any lights working on the bike. They found the wiring harness had melted down while I was riding to the dealer. They replaced the harness under warranty, but told me that light bulbs aren't covered under warranty and I would have to pay for all of them. They agreed with me that the electrical problem that melted down the harness is what blew all the bulbs at the same time, but held to their guns that bulbs aren't covered under warranty.

I took the bike to a different dealer for the 10,000 mile service. I had never done business with these guys before. When I went to pay, he went over the bill with me and I saw there was a passing lamp on the bill at no charge. He said it was burned out, but he would find some way to get the warranty to cover it.

I had my sg at yet another dealer to put performance heads and high compression pistons in it. I was considering cancelling the extended warranty since I didn't figure it would pay for any future repairs after this upgrade. The tech told me not to cancel. He said I have his word they will cover any part on the bike under the extended warranty except the heads and pistons. He assures me that everything else is still covered.

There is a world of difference between dealers and the good ones make the problems that come up with my bike much less annoying.

Dennis

Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this dealers name start with "A" by chance?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CrashX
Does this dealers name start with "A" by chance?
My 2 dealers? The first B,R HD and G HD. Rochkes: I know what you are saying, I had such a good feeling when I though "I finally found" a Harley dealer that I could trust. Their prices were lower than any other dealer I had seen. I actually said 'thank god', when I found and bought from them. I found out "hardcore" they are no different from any other I had known. I can only state on my own experiences but I have yet to find a truly trustworthy dealer in the entire (east side) of the state of Florida and I've lived here for 10 years and in 3 counties with 5 Harleys, south to north Florida. I don't know about the Tampa to Ft. Myers area of Florida. All f***'d me and my family in some way. I truly feel that corporate Harley will have to concern in my favor when I contact them. Just like dealing with your job boss if they acknowledge something is wrong, they will then have to take responsibility. This will never happen voluntarily, never.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 PM
farm01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHY NOT JUST NAME THE DEALER ? Hollingsworth in St. Augustine is the best dealership in florida and has been for a long,long time. but that said, Limey Hollingsworth died last year and the dealership was sold .don't know the new owners ,but David Hollingsworth opened a shop and i think he could help you out. PM me I'll give you his #

Old 02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by farm01
WHY NOT JUST NAME THE DEALER ? Hollingsworth in St. Augustine is the best dealership in florida and has been for a long,long time. but that said, Limey Hollingsworth died last year and the dealership was sold .don't know the new owners ,but David Hollingsworth opened a shop and i think he could help you out. PM me I'll give you his #
Your right why hide it, it's Gator Harley Davidson in Leesburg, FL off of route 441. The first dealer was Bruce Rossmeyer on Beach Street in Daytona Beach, FL. I heard of the one in St. Augustine but I've not been there as of yet. I am consulting with an attorney on this matter. It just isn't right and I'm not going to take this lying down. This is through no fault of my own. I appreciate the referal.

Last edited by Dispatch; 02-12-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Petesnot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealerships are the scourge of owning a Harley Davidson. Too bad we don't have a sticky here that we can put comments in on the bad AND good dealerships. My guess is there would be more bad than good.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
olddude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petesnot
Dealerships are the scourge of owning a Harley Davidson. Too bad we don't have a sticky here that we can put comments in on the bad AND good dealerships. My guess is there would be more bad than good.

There is under the general chat section.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Lemon Law.