Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need longer cables - Wild One bars WO518 07 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix5
The install is no big deal. You will have to pull your air cleaner backing plate off and prop the gas tank up a little in back. Other than that, it's a straightforward deal.

The cable prices can vary greatly. Are you changing to braided stainless or sticking with the black ones? I want to say the ones I got from Kirk were either Barnett or Drag Specialties, but I forget.

The brake hoses.... there's a flexible hose from the master cylinder to the area behind the headlight. Then a hard line that mounts under the triple tree. Then two more flexible hoses for each front brake. They "should" be sold and priced as one part#.
Maybe......

My factory front brake hose was one piece from master cylinder all the way down to both front brakes. There was no way for me to buy and fit only an extended upper hose, it was the whole works or nothing.

Magnum does not sell them as 'one' part. You buy the lower hose assembly, then you spec the length of the upper along with how you want it made.

I can't stress enuff that you must record exactly the hoses and cables you by so that later you can replace them quickly if required....Guys like the above who can't recall who made their cables and hoses are tempting fate come time to replace them.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM
wkottas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnumshielding? Why would the gas tank have to come loose, or loosen the backplate of air?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wkottas
Magnumshielding? Why would the gas tank have to come loose, or loosen the backplate of air?
As it turned out, I did not have to lift tank on my 07 RKC-the cables slid right in with no problem.

If however, I was still running stock aircleaner I'm certain I would have to remove backing plate to get to cable ends and loop them into place on throttle body.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a gander at my DIY bar swap. May come in handy. I also put links to parts sources on the last page. If you like it give that thread a bump for others to see.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-install.html

Attached Thumbnails Need longer cables - Wild One bars WO518 07 RKC-apes-033-small-crop.jpg  
Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 PM
khwatson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the wild ones on my 2007 RKC, and used a factory HD 4" wiring kit, but left everything else stock. The throttle and brake cables fit, you may have to adjust them a bit from where they are zip tied to the frame to pull a little more slack near the bars. Going with the extended throttle/brake cables will give you a cleaner look, as they run more along the lines of the bar, plus its a good time to make the switch to chrome cables.

The wiring kit wasn't too bad but this is a modest job that can be a real pain in the ***. To run the wires through the bars, you'll need to take the connector housing apart, and pull each wire out one at a time. That, and reassembling the wire connector is also fun.

But the end result is worth it, the wild ones look great on the bike and in my experience, made the ergonomics much better, no more sore shoulders after long rides.

PS - double check to make sure you are putting the control wires for the left grip in the left side of the bar and vice versa. I found it to be a real dumbass moment when I managed to spend 20 minutes carefully threading the wire bulndle through the bar, only to realize I had my left and right backwards.