Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Saddlebag "locks"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Detachable Saddlebag "locks"

I know i've seen it on here before, but i just can't seem to track it down. Someone had posted a thread about replacing the stock detachable pins for the hardbags, with something more secure. Anyone have a link to that so i can take a peak. I'm tired of dealing with those twist pins.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You could use nuts and bolts, but that will be even more of a PITA.

Harry

Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master

I've considered the nuts and bolts approach, i'm not really all that worried about the "quick detach" abililty of it. I dont' take them off that often, i just find that with the saddlebag wall organizer, liners etc, that i break ALOT of those pins. I'll probably just look into some bolts with a lock nut or acorn/lock nut on the inside to avoid scratching myself when digging in the bags

Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just check out harbor freight and look up multi-holed clevis pins with cotter pin, you'll need four of them...Find two washers for each for a total of eight. Place a washer on and enter the backside of the mount and bag so the pin sticks inside. Now just place the washer on the inside and place cotter pin in the corresponding hole. This is a low tech lock that works great! You might need an additional washer each to make the pin meet the right hole. A lock at times is cumbersome, and really, if someone likes your bags or wants what's in them...they're gonna get it no matter what...locks or not!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master

Maybe i'm more interested in just having a secure and tight connection. Those twist pins make me nervous and i know its unlikely that both woudl break and the bag would fall off, but i'll admit its a fear.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

To be honest...one of My best friends has had the same set up for years with zero breaks. But I understand your fears on this.

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master

I'm sure the clevis pins with cotters hold just fine, i'm more interested in how tight they are. I suppose you could always add an extra washer to tighten them up if they aren't fitting snugly enough as you said. Do you remove the spring portion of the existing bracket to pass the clevis pin through the bag?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For all the years I've had a bagger the only time I ever saw anybody have a problem was a goofball that took his bags off a new Road King and wasn't smart enough to put them back on correctly. One fell off while he was going down the interstate at about 70mph. He didn't know it was missing until he got home.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Yes...you remove the springs for the dzus fastener. It's a seriously simple operation. But like I said before...if they want your bags...lock or not...they will get them.

Ride Safe, Mike

Quick Reply: Detachable Saddlebag "locks"