Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Saddlebag "locks"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

i went to lowes and bought 1/4" - 20 U-type speed nuts (threaded) #139396 $1.04 each and some 1/4" button head allen screws 2 x $1.59 and two 1/4 " lock washers..i removed the clips and pins..and used the 1/4" U-type speed nut (threaded) in place of the clip..re-used the washer..added the lock washer..and used the allen button head screw..
inside the bag you would see .... allen head button screw ....then lock washer ...then re-used washer...and this allen button head screw goes into threaded speed nut..
remember to toss allen head tool in tool kit....i also place a tiny dab of blue lock-tite on screw but thats just me.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm worried about them coming off also so I used the 5/16" clevis pin idea since I was worried the bolt and nut idea could also loosen up. I used a nut over the clevis pin and then a washer for spacing (could of used xtra washers or drilled the pin), then the bracket, a washer, hitch pin clip (this keeps the clevis fr falling out), saddlebag, washers (had to use two to get tight fit) then a hitch pin clip. I only did the front and having the back original helps keeps everything tight. Pretty simple and cheap.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez - you guys that are worried about having your bags fall off should have had the old style bags that the lids would fly off if you didn't get them on right !

Gone with the wind.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone broken a factory twist pin? I have my bags off eveytime the bike is cleaned. They are still very tight after 27k miles.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txgeezer
Geez - you guys that are worried about having your bags fall off should have had the old style bags that the lids would fly off if you didn't get them on right !

Gone with the wind.
After that happened I drilled the little tab and put a hitch pin in those also. I've heard of the new saddlebags coming off, don't know if it was operator error or pin problem, it was right after the service dept. got done so go figure.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
Maybe i'm more interested in just having a secure and tight connection. Those twist pins make me nervous and i know its unlikely that both woudl break and the bag would fall off, but i'll admit its a fear.
Any decent hardware store will have U-nuts http://www1.mscdirect.com/U,-J-&-Cag.../s2006652.HTML (for reference only), & bolts to fit 'em. I used hex head bolts one & one half inch long. You can tighten 'em as much or as little as you like. They won't back out & if you don't over tighten 'em they need a wrench only for the first turn. After that they come out with fingers. Take the stock washer with you to size the bolt/U-nut. Costs about $5........

Old 03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
youngrider3
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out brukus.com maybe it's something you're looking for?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't have a link but

if you go to any HD retailer and search for 'detachables lock' They look just like the retainers already included but with a key for removal. One for each side or just a single, depending on your desire.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:13 AM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawg08
For all the years I've had a bagger the only time I ever saw anybody have a problem was a goofball that took his bags off a new Road King and wasn't smart enough to put them back on correctly. One fell off while he was going down the interstate at about 70mph. He didn't know it was missing until he got home.
That happened to a friend of mine only it was right after the dealer replaced his rear tire. They didn't want to accept responsibility for it either. After purchasing two new bikes and thousands in warranties and accessories, I guess they didn't consider him a valued customer. Now he is an ex customer.