Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009 | 08:20 PM
harleyrider1144
|
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking cruise control problem

I have a '02 Road King with cruise that I installed last year before a big road trip and it has started acting up. The right control (set and speed up or down) lights up but only stays on for a few seconds and clicks off. Does anyone know how to check this out to see what is malfunctioning? I don't want to buy another right control unless I know for sure what the problem is.

Old 02-10-2009 | 08:48 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,709 Likes on 2,127 Posts

If it is a factory unit the manual should have a step by step troubleshooting guide to identify the issue. I spent over 30 hours last winter tracing circuts and testing parts and continuity for my cruise. I could not get it to pass the steps and gave up. In the spring I tried it - when I pressed the set button and it worked. Good luck it can be a PIA.

Old 02-10-2009 | 11:14 PM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how similar you bike is to mine but I had a similar problem with my '02 Ultra. It turned out to be the cruise control roll-off switch mounted in the middle of the idle cable. On the Ultra you can see it beneath the right side of the gas tank running along the side of the frame. I disconnected my roll-off switch and taped the terminal connectors together to keep them from flopping around and the cruise control works great. You just don't have the throttle roll-off cruise control cancelation function. I finally picked up a new idle cable today since I have the bike torn apart for other maintenance. Other guys have had this problem and I was able to find the problem on mine through some posts on this forum. I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. Learn to use the search function and it will save you a lot of time.

I hope this helps. Electrical problems are the worst. Good luck.