Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HJC AC-3 Carbon Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HJC AC-3 Carbon Helmet

Does anyone have one of these helmets? If so, any opinions, good or bad?

HJC AC-3 Carbon

• Carbon Fiber Composite Weave Shell: Extremely lightweight. Superior fit and comfort using advanced CAD technology.
  • “ACS” Advanced Channeling Ventilation System: Full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out.
  • SilverCool™ Interior: Moisture-wicking and odor-free interior with advanced silver anti-bacterial fabric. Comfortable, removable and washable.
  • Sleek, Aerodynamic Visor Design: Optional shield replaces visor.
  • SNELL/DOT Approved
  • SIZES: XS-XXL
M.S.R.P.
$299.99

Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have one, but was @ Performance Cycle in Denver last week, to investigate buying an AC-3. The thing I found out from 3 different sales-people, is that the AC-3 is a great helmet providing you have a 'round' head. They did have an AC-3 Carbon on the shelves, and it looked really sharp, but I have no first-hand knowledge of road performance.

If you're like me and have a 'long oval' type of head shape, they recommend the SHOEI RJ Platinum R, for the 3/4 style helmet.

Since I already have a SHOEI Multi-Tec for my 'full' style helmet and the Multi-Tec is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, it made sense. "Most" helmets really hurt my forehead after wearing for 5 minutes or more. The Multi-Tec had no issues (when I test wore it) after 45 minutes of wearing in the store.

I've worn it 2x on the road, for >6 hours without any issues. (I only wear the 'full' when the weather is crappy or when it's really cold out).

All that said, I am going to buy a SHOEI RJ Platinum R from Performance Cycle.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
txgeezer
Tourer

I have one and like it fine. Go to any MC shop that carries HJC AC3s and make sure it fits.
I think I had to go up in size when I got mine. They wanted way too much money at the MC shops so I got mine via www.newenough.com

I just checked thier price at $216. Good place to buy, great service. Cater to metrics but every now and then they have something good.

It is little lighter than a standard helmet. I just bought it becasue I wanted a different look and I only use 3/4 helmets. Fits me fine, as good as any other HJC I have ever worn.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

I have an AC-3 and I guess I don't have a round head because I apparently have pressure points in a couple of places inside the helmet and after a long ride wearing it, it starts to hurt in these places. The lighter weight of the carbon fiber may help this issue.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the regular AC-3, my wife has the carbonfiber AC-3. Her's is about a pound lighter. We're both happy with both of them.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want a true carbon fiber helmet try advanced carbon composites. they are the only co. with a carbon fiber and kevlar helmet. 175 $ and worth every penny

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Dewky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have just gotten one from extremesupply.com for $199.I also found that it had a couple of pressure points on my temples however I just pulled the liner away and scooped out the polystyrene liner at those points until it was a comfortable fit.Nice helmet.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Why on earth would you buy a no-name HJC helmet for $216.00 or even $199.00 when you can have the exact same helmet WITH the official HD logo and script on it for $350.00????

Men's Carbon Kevlar® 3/4 Half Helmet

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for availability

Lightweight Carbon Kevlar® shell. Double D-ring chin strap. Power vent on top of shell. Interchangeable face shield converts to a visor for a traditional open-face shell. Fits P&A helmet headset P/N 77147-98. Replacement tinted face shield available. Bar & Shield logo on front. Meets DOT requirements. HJC, 2 lbs. 8 oz.

For a helmet to be effective, it must fit properly. Harley-Davidson strongly recommends that you visit your H-D dealer to try on helmets to determine the proper size and fitment.

98273-09VM

MSRP US $350.00

Best bet is to try any helmet on before you buy one. I can't say that I'd wear it in a shop for nearly an hour, but a quick fit will let you know if you'll have problems on the road, if it is too tight, too loose, etc.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself have two HJC helmets (non carbon fiber) but find them to be very good values as helmets go. I just got the flip up face "Sy-MAX II from www.newenough.com for $203 plus shipping, which was MUCH cheaper then anywhere else. Some others want $269 for that same helmet. That sure beats the heck out of spending $300-400 for a Shoei or $500-600 for an Arai.. HJC offers good solid value.

The AC-3 should cost you no more then $216-$220 plus shipping.

Last edited by RODEO; 02-10-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
I do not have one, but was @ Performance Cycle in Denver last week, to investigate buying an AC-3. The thing I found out from 3 different sales-people, is that the AC-3 is a great helmet providing you have a 'round' head. They did have an AC-3 Carbon on the shelves, and it looked really sharp, but I have no first-hand knowledge of road performance.

If you're like me and have a 'long oval' type of head shape, they recommend the SHOEI RJ Platinum R, for the 3/4 style helmet.

Since I already have a SHOEI Multi-Tec for my 'full' style helmet and the Multi-Tec is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, it made sense. "Most" helmets really hurt my forehead after wearing for 5 minutes or more. The Multi-Tec had no issues (when I test wore it) after 45 minutes of wearing in the store.

I've worn it 2x on the road, for >6 hours without any issues. (I only wear the 'full' when the weather is crappy or when it's really cold out).

All that said, I am going to buy a SHOEI RJ Platinum R from Performance Cycle.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.

I went with the Shoei RJ Platinum R from Extrememoto. $209.69 with FREE shipping

Quick Reply: HJC AC-3 Carbon Helmet