Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you using to clean your windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hit mine with the power washer when it needs it. Sometimes if there are alot of bugs, etc, i'll lay a hot towel on it for 15 minutes and then hose it off. Otherwise, i mainly look over the top of it anyway, so it doesn't bother me if its dirty.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plexus all the way

Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
Maybe false economy. Tulsa Enterprises is one of the largest manufacturers of aftermarket motorcycle windshields. On their "Hints" web page, they give some do's and don'ts for cleaning windshields. The part about Pledge is in the second para.

Most other manufacturers shields are the same. While polycarbonate is great stuff, if you use cleaner containing alcohol or ammonia (including Windex® or Pledge®), you start softening the hard coating
So my 5 years old windshield still looks new and all I've used is pledge? I had better cease it's use on my helicopter also.

What a load of crap!!!!!! Could it be they are trying to sell you their product?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM
kbear
Road Captain

Washing the bike I use a quite a bit of vinegar in the warm water to do the whole bike it helps reduce the water spots, remove the gritty road crap and helps lift the bugs (especially the really nummy looking green or yellow ones, they go great with the driveway beers). We are on a well and the water is a bit hard... I then use the lemon pledge and it has worked really well on all my bikes and not really sure how long I have been using it, seems like forever. Tried other stuff but it always comes out with that grimey coating. Some stuff seems to make the bike attract dirt and grime.

I used a bit of the stuff for cleaning my glasses on the windshield one really buggy year in the interior and it really worked on making the windshield unstick the bugs...?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
salty01
Tourer

www.purpleslice.com

great stuff for paint, chrome, winshields SS and around the house.

No i dont sell it! LOL just really works

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Cruise
Advanced

Pledge and micro fiber cloth for me. I've tried just about all the other stuff and still venture off trying new ones as I hear about them. I usually end up disappointed when I try them even after other's rave about their favorite product. For cost and the best I have found for most all areas of my bike I still go back to pledge.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

Plexus

Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
wbeem
Tourer

I use a complex solution comprised of soap and water.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
So my 5 years old windshield still looks new and all I've used is pledge? I had better cease it's use on my helicopter also.

What a load of crap!!!!!! Could it be they are trying to sell you their product?
No, I don't get that impression at all. That page is 99% about what **NOT** to use, not about what they sell. IMO, what little marginal profit they make on a $6.50 bottle of 210 is just budget dust, nothing more.

Clean your crap with whatever you want - it's of no consequence to me. But if you were as smart as you obviously believe you are, you'd be using Permatex 403D on that helicopter, which is intended for aircraft windscreens, rather than something cheap and easy from the grocery chain, intended for your furniture.

Last edited by racklefratz; 02-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
BEAST
Cruiser

Lemon Pledge

Quick Reply: What are you using to clean your windshield?