Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on my bike....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some advice on my bike....

Hey guys,

I currently have a '08 RG that I have added tourpack and a set of hard lowers(outside shell only). I have done a few other add ons but that really doesn't matter because they can be reversed back to stock. Basically I want/need to add an intercom system and cb system to my setup. I started out wanting the J&M setup but lets just say that getting information on what exactly I need has been less than helpful. I have then started looking into adding the harley cb/intercom/rear speakers(basically ultracising the RG) for about $2400 or I can trade my bike in on a used Ultra classic with the same amount of miles for about $4k. Obviously if I upgrade the RG I'll have a very nicely outfitted bike but I am wondering what else if anything will I be leaving on the table? I know my lowers don't have the storage boxes(which is not a big deal for me) but I don't know if there are any other features I am gonna be missing out on?

I like my RG but really want the cb/intercom system because my sons are going to start riding on trips with me this year and I want to be able to communicate with them which is an important feature for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 607 Likes on 441 Posts

Lee, thats a nice R.G. you got there. I'm not sure you'd be happy with the ultra after cruising on the R.G. Maybe you should try a blue tooth intercom hooked up to a portable CB unit. I'm sure lots of people will urge you to get rid of the Fugly Glide but I don't think I'd want to go back to the batwing. I kinda like the ride and drive and roominess of the R.G. Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Hey guys,

I currently have a '08 RG that I have added tourpack and a set of hard lowers(outside shell only). I have done a few other add ons but that really doesn't matter because they can be reversed back to stock. Basically I want/need to add an intercom system and cb system to my setup. I started out wanting the J&M setup but lets just say that getting information on what exactly I need has been less than helpful. I have then started looking into adding the harley cb/intercom/rear speakers(basically ultracising the RG) for about $2400 or I can trade my bike in on a used Ultra classic with the same amount of miles for about $4k. Obviously if I upgrade the RG I'll have a very nicely outfitted bike but I am wondering what else if anything will I be leaving on the table? I know my lowers don't have the storage boxes(which is not a big deal for me) but I don't know if there are any other features I am gonna be missing out on?

I like my RG but really want the cb/intercom system because my sons are going to start riding on trips with me this year and I want to be able to communicate with them which is an important feature for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
"Obviously if I upgrade the RG I'll have a very nicely outfitted bike but I am wondering what else if anything will I be leaving on the table? "

You can get storage boxes and vents for your lowers... I think you have answered your own question. Sounds like you haver your bike set up the way you like it. If you really want an Ultra, I'd pay up for an '09.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference for an '09 is $8k. Right now that just isn't in the cards. I can swing the $4k difference. I had a real time trying to get the handlebars on my bike working right(Very long story) and am hesitant to go tearing back into them to add more wires inside for the intercom/cb systems. I'm going to look into chatterbox and some other intercoms tonight and see what else is out there. I can do without the cb but the intercom is the most important at this time.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd think if ya all go out and get the Scala or other brand intercoms for your helmets would be mo better??? A couple hundred bucks and keep your ride the way it is.....I like my Ultra, but the intercom doesn't really sound great, crackles, snaps and pops. I've been thinking on the J&M or something else....

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Keep your bike! JMHO----- Ya won't be happy with the trade.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
pigpipes
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever happened to just yelling back & forth.....

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm all for the yelling back and forth, and having an excuse to ignore her because its too windy and i can't hear

Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

My wife wants a portable CB and headset. 'cause she says I can't hear her.
Not sure who she'll talk to.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 RG that I added the HD CB, intercom and rear speakers to. It is a clean install. The only thing hangin' off the bars is the GPS.

Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on my bike....-img_0564-a.jpg  

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 02-11-2009 at 12:30 AM.