Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D GPS in radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-D GPS in radio

I'm thinking about having the dealer install the navigation unit on my 2008 SG. It's expensive and I am wondering if it's really worth the money just to have my bike look "clean". I'm not even sure you can update the unit with new maps. I also hear that some love it and some hate it. Any opinions or advice you can share would be great!!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

you probably deceided you need gps or you would do this but for me gps on a bike is no good while you are riding
i know i spend too much time screwing around looking at the gps in my car would be a bad idea on two wheels
i pack my wifes gps in tour pack and check it when i am really lost .i just think one more thing to star at when you should be looking where you are going
look down fall down... look left turn left
Mazz

Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
you probably deceided you need gps or you would do this but for me gps on a bike is no good while you are riding
i know i spend too much time screwing around looking at the gps in my car would be a bad idea on two wheels
i pack my wifes gps in tour pack and check it when i am really lost .i just think one more thing to star at when you should be looking where you are going
look down fall down... look left turn left
Mazz
+ 1, I carry a Street Pilot in the saddle bag just in case I get lost.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It definately is tough to get used to using a GPS when you are riding. I found for me it was easier to get used to it in my truck before being on 2 wheels. Now that i have had it for a few years, i wouldn't take a trip without it. I wouldn't waste the money on the HD Nav unit (or the HD Branded Zumo for that matter) but i would suggest the Zumo 550 with a ram mount.

If you are worried about the clean look, just take it off when you aren't using it.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen one..think it a good idea...but also think you would get a lot more use out of a separate unit that will give you more detail and places like gas stations/hotels, etc....i don't think the hd radio ones do that do they?????

Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
alfalf
Intermediate

Don't waste your money oh the Harley unit, get a tom tom or a garmam with a ram mount, i have a tom tom looks and works just fine

Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
HogFather
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No GPS for me on the bike, the boat sure, but not the bike. Biking is about the ride, lost or found I want to get away from the hi-tech crap today. Enjoy the ride!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

What others have said about a GPS being a distraction on a bike is probably true. But! If you plug the GPS audio output into the radio then all you have to do is listen to the navigation instructions.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer told me not to bother, too much money for what it does.. If you have Verizon get Navigator, it is like a GPS and does local searches for areas of interest, restaurants, etc.. also does weather, movies...it is great.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have an Apple iPhone. If I get lost I stop and pull up Google Maps. Some day I might get a Garmin and RAM mount it.

Quick Reply: H-D GPS in radio