Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D GPS in radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Works great.......

Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy thr Garmin Zumo 550, mount it on your handlebars. It's waterproof, It shock resistance, it has everything you need in a gps and it is made for motorcycles. It comes with car mount also, and it will talk to you in car thru the mount. I would never leave home again without my zumo. Bldr

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's funny since you helped me mount mine.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
I would like to mount mine to the fairing too if I could find someone that knows how to do it and would help me with it.
I hit the wrong button earlier. Anyway, that's funny since you helped me put mine on...BTW..thanks again!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the 550 also.
benefits:
easy to use
has XM radio
quick release
portable, can use hand held or in car
bluetooth
large enough to use when riding
disadvantages:
pricey
can be distracting

i like the fact that it is in color, don't know about the in-radio HD one.

i really like it when riding to help find new places to ride. like you can see a road is coming up that might be 'fun'.

or if on a trip, nice just to keep track or where you are.
real good for finding lodging / restraurants / gas stations, near by.

ever try riding thru the middle of south dakota and wonder where the next gas is

but yeh - you can get distracted using it. like that guy on the forum who was just checking his gps and hit the car in front.

get the 550.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Zumo 550. Very handy and not a distraction to me at all. I also use it to play MP3's.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain

Ok little background her: I travel alot for work and have VZ navig8tr for my work travels, have a Standard Horizon chartplotter in the boat and have used several GPS units in the fire department. Northstar LORAN and Garmin GPS in the plane. Having said that I was originally going to go with a handlebar mount for the bike. Well I decided to go with the HD/HK unit and have no issues with it. It is a much cleaner look . no you cant take it with you, but neither can someone while you take a leak at the gas station or any of the hundred other stops you make and don't want to remove stuff.
yes it has food gas and a number of other things you can search for. Once you use it it is very intuative. No it doesnt have a 'map' per sey but will tell you turn by turn through the stereo or headset. I live way out in the sticks and it finds my house within a few hundred feet, something VZ navig8tr cannot do within a half mile! Actually VZ cant find it at all! You can't set it while riding you have to be stopped, that is a good thing and you don't have to look at it at all while riding it tells you all you need to know with plenty of time in advance. Would I get it again or an external??? Yes I would get it again . I feel it is much easier to work with the hand controls already on the bike while riding (yes there are some things you can do while riding) than trying to use 'soft' keys with gloves while riding. I like it but it might not be for everyone.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Zumo 550, I have had several GPS units and this one is the best by far....but just a note, the Zumo 660 is out.....might find a deal on the 550 now....

Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Bat21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Navigon ... and love it. Easy to use and see. I believe it has the biggest screen of the GPS's out ... at least it was when it was given as a gift from the wife. Even if it's not always on the bike ... it will be in the tour pack ... just in case.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master

zumo is the way to go, load memory card with tunes, plug cable to aux port on radio and off you go, you hear the tunes and turns through radio speakers

Quick Reply: H-D GPS in radio