Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D GPS in radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I use and really like gps when traveling. I decided to go with a zumo 550 for lots of reasons, but one of the best reasons is because I can use it in any vehicle I am using at the time.

Dennis

Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Harley GPS add on unit for the HK radio. It is not a download but a add-on gps unit and antenna under the fairing cap intregrated into the radio. I did not want a big thing hanging on my handlebars, power wires running everywhere and worrying about taking it off or getting stolen etc etc. Did not need bluetooth or mp3 player. The screen is easy to see in either regular or split screen with the radio info. Voice commands are clear with plenty of time to react. Takes a little to learn how to use it. Route planning is not as sophiscated as the Garmin but it works for me. I have the Garmen 750 in my pickup and like it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use the garmin zumo 450, has a detailed map, downloadable points of interest, and plays my mp3s. another feature is i can go anywhere on the map select that point and get turn by turn directions or a line showing direction and progress. i doubt the HD indash model can do that. but to each his own. if you got that type of money what would you care anyways.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forgot to mention, if i select a restraunt, hotel or point of interest it comes up with a phone number too. comes in real handy if i am looking for a place to lay up for the night.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mother H~Ds cost is way out of line you go get yourself a Zummo 550
and you can put in the H~Ds stealerships or other points of interest.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I swore I would never have a GPS on my motorcycle. Well I gave in and bought the Zumo 550. I don't find it distracting because I guess I'm not fixating on it all the time. Sure is handy & I put a 4G SD Card & downloaded 700 tunes & have it play thru my speakers. Really great. I mounted mine in the inner fairing before HD came out with one. Direct wired it to the lighter & it has a nice clean professional look . Of course that's JMHO!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to mount mine to the fairing too if I could find someone that knows how to do it and would help me with it.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the navigation unit installed in my radio, and I used a garmin on my last bike so I have seen it both ways.

The radio installed navigation unit works fine. The voice commands are clear and timely. Its true the screen just shows your direction and next turn, but if you are watching the screen you are headed for an accident anyway.

The system is not without its faults. This past summer I took a trip from New Jersey to Nova Scotia/New Brunswick/Prince Edward Island. I was suprised to find that the Canadian Atlantic Provinces are not included on the mapping CD.

Once you load your destination, you can remove the mapping CD and use your CD player for music. I have not found a way to map out my route using my home computer and then transfer it to the Harley system, but I plan to experiment with this when routing out this years trip.

This system is convenient, and doesn't have to be removed every time you stop.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

i have both on my bike the zumo 550 and the internal harley gps Imo the harley one stinks it will do basic navigation but you need to be on major roads.. It can not find directions to my house where the zumo has no problems. definately would buy the zumo unstead of the harley one. As for people that dont think they are for bikes you can always take it off when you want. or just carry iphone or something else in your bags. Its like using your cell phone in your car some people just arent good at doing 2 things at once but only a quick glance at the zumo is all you need and its mounted high enough that you still see the road.. Gps was great when my wife got sick on a ride needed to get home quick push 2 buttons and the route was there .. thats my long 2 cents

Last edited by flyburch; 02-10-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Zumo 550 and I love it. Used it on 500 mile trips. I keep it on all the time scrolling through the maps as I travel. I check, with a glance, for road directions if I am going over a hill so I will know which way the road turns and if there is any intersections looming over the other side. It does notify you ove the speakers as far as turns go. Went through NY Gw Bridge area on labor day and it talked me through it with neve having to look at it. Deffenatley to busy of a traffic nightmare to be looking at a map!

Quick Reply: H-D GPS in radio