Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!antenna Conn. for detachable tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!antenna Conn. for detachable tour pack

I have the detachable tour pack and I am trying to figure out how the antenna can be pulled off from it's original location and moved to the tour pack. I went to the dealer and bought the short wire that connects inside the tour pack and runs out the hole on the left bottom side. I need to know what type of connection I need to be able to hook it to where I pulled the antenna off of ? Please HELP

Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Just buy a hidden antenna that goes inside the fairing. Works great and you don't have to worry about the antenna or any wires. A few different types available on ebay for short money.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

That was one of my thoughts but I have heard that the reception is not as good,and I already bought the tour pack with one antenna mount on the back. I am pretty sure I just need a type of butt connector the hooks fron the antenna wire to the original antenna stub after actual antenna is removed. Just need to know where to get it.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
drumaniak
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you should have bought was the antenna relocation kit. Don't have the part number, but if I recall is was about $100.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Jukebox
Road Master

The dealer helped me by NOT trying to sell me the whole relocation kit. Instead he looked up the parts and sold me just the wire part of that kit,$23 verses $100. So now I have the wire hooked into the tour pack but where it comes out of the tour pack and hooks up to where the antenna was mounted,that end of the wire does not mate with where the antenna was screwed onto the stud. So I think I need some sort of adapter or a type of butt connector for the two wires to mate up. I can't find a pic anywhere except at the dealer and it still is not a good picture.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Can't help you with a shop name in US, but this is what you are looking for. They should be readily available

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12315

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Thanks for the link but I could not find anyhting there either. Maybe I am not explaining it clearly. I unscrewed the antenna off and put it on my tourpack,now I need something that will let me hook the wire coming out of the tourpack to where I just unscrewed the antenna off of. Is there a part in the relocate kit,or anywhere else,that will let me do this?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

The cable from the stereo to the original antenna needs to be spliced and connected to the should tour pak cable you have used. Not sure what the short cable in the tourpack terminates in, but there is a good chance it is a male or female version like shown in the link. You then have to add the "mating" connection to the cable that ran to the original antenna. If you are lucky you can unscrew the cable at the old antenna location and it will connect directly to the short cable.

Or possibly I am still not understanding fully

Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Tenn Ridge Runner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this. I got the Ant relocation kit and it came with an adapter to connect the 2 coaxs together. My tour pak already had the antenna mount on it and the holes drilled. I didn't know any better and asked the dealer to set me up with everything I needd to put the Tour Pak on my RG and the Ant relocation kit was one of the items I got.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Jukebox
Road Master

Hey sgdiesel,I tried to unscrew the cable from the original mount and connect it directly to the cable coming out of the tour pack but both ends are female. But Tenn Ridge Runner has the right idea,the short antenna wire coming out of the tour pack was one I got from the dealer,it was one of the parts that comes from the antenna relocation kit,so I guess what I need is the adapter to hook two female ends together. The parts guy at the dealer said he could get that for me too as a single item so I don't have to buy the whole relocate kit. Thanks Tenn Ridge Runner.

Quick Reply: HELP!antenna Conn. for detachable tour pack