Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio buzz 04 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM
alandchris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio buzz 04 ultra

What could be causing the buzzing/humming noise thru the radio.

I installed a Satellite radio - a while ago - and always had a slight 'buzz' thru the speakers while the music played - It was hardly noticeable. Just installed a set of new speakers and the buzz is much more noticeable. This is only when the satellite radio is playing. The normal FM does not have the problem.

The satellite radio power is hooked up using the cigarette lighter 12v power adapter that came with the sat radio to a new cigarette lighter accessory plug (not the one in the lower left dash) - this new one is hooked up to the extra lead coming off the headlight (power and ground) - the power wire then comes up next to the dash wires under the batwing. Also, the speakers, with the larger magnets, touch the metal brackets that hold the bottom of the speakers into the fairing. The feed from the sat radio goes to the front of my radio's aux input via a 36 inch stereo cable / jack.

I'm told its a bad ground - but all connections are tight. I did use a little bit of dialectic grease on all connections and also zip tied the power adapter to the cigarette lighter. As a side note - the buzzing level is constant - it does not change it's pitch as the throttle increases / decreases.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx

Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm going hazard a guess here but it sounds like what my 02 also did. I suspect it issues from the EFI, possibly the fuel pump. Since it only comes through the satellite radio, perhaps moving its antenna as far from the EFI unit as possible and using shielded cable if not so equipped, would likely solve your problem.

I didn't do anything with the 02 Ultra, just tolerated the noise. The 07 doesn't do it. Yours is a Radiosound unit, mine is Harmon Kardon. It could be the Radiosound is more sensitive in picking up noises. Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
alandchris
Advanced

hmmm
i did move the magnetic antenna from the front fender to on top of the radio inside the batwing - I can try to move the antenna to the back of the bike somewhere -

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had similar problems playing any accessory device that was powered by the bike's 12V power and plugged into the AUX port. Ended up being a ground loop issue, and once i installed a ground loop isolator the buzzing went away. I had the same issue both with my Zumo and the Harley MP3 player, but with the ground loop isolator, clear as a bell.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
alandchris
Advanced

HDrider2002

thx for the response - do you recall what the name of the isolater was - where you bought it etc. Also, how did you install it, I see a few on the internet that appear to have 4 jacks on it. Is it installed on the 12V power wire - or on the wire that leads from the satellite radio to the aux input on the bike radio. ?

ex. I see this as a GLI -
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062214&cp

Al

I had similar problems playing any accessory device that was powered by the bike's 12V power and plugged into the AUX port. Ended up being a ground loop issue, and once i installed a ground loop isolator the buzzing went away. I had the same issue both with my Zumo and the Harley MP3 player, but with the ground loop isolator, clear as a bell.

Last edited by alandchris; 02-09-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
alandchris
Advanced

Update

I found this one by searching for some other criteria

perhaps this would be the right one - has the correct jacks on it...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI1...d+loop&tp=2653

Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master

I got it from ebay, but i have seen them sold at crutchfield, etc. It goes inline with the 3.5 mm aux port wire (which in my case i just stashed in the headlight nacelle). I think it cost me $15 or so, but its well worth the price. Here is a listing for some currently on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ground-Loop-Isol...d=p4634.c0.m14

Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
alandchris
Advanced

Thx again HDRider2002
last question - any noticeable loss of volume or bass/treble when you have the inline isolator plugged in

Thx again.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master

No, i didn't notice any loss, in fact i probably spent about 5 minutes listening to it plugged in and unplugged from the filter to see if i could pick up any difference. all i really noticed was the lack of "buzz".

Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 PM
alandchris
Advanced

I installed the ground loop isolator from Crutchfield and all is good now - clear as a bell and no distortion / loss of sound

HDrider2002 - thx for the advice

FYI - if you do a search on Crutchfield - they have a flowchart on how to diagnose these types of problems....

Quick Reply: radio buzz 04 ultra