Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Passing/Driving Lights Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SG Passing/Driving Lights Question

Well it happened to us today. Cruising at 55 on a four lane road, wife on the back and some jerkwod pulls out of a driveway right in front of us. When he finally sees us coming at him what does he do? He stops! I stop about 1ft from his rear fender.

I have had things in the past that I called close calls, but this one was real close.

Thank God for reflexes and ABS! This was my first real panic stop on my SG. I was full-on back and front brakes and the bike stayed straight and ground to a stop just in time, and I do mean just in time!

Anyway, I have decided that I need more lights on the front of my SG. Nothing up there now except the headlight and front running/turn signals.

Anyone know what it will cost me to have the dealer install the passing lamps?

And I am open to any other suggestions to make me more visible. I am convinced that this guy just didn't see us when he pulled out.

Thanks guys...I am thankful to be here to ask you this question!
This one scared me big time.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you're both okay.

You should consider the HD fog lamp kit. It's a great value for $135 and uses 50W or 55W bulbs. Had them for 3+ years and never had anyone pull out on me in Metro Atlanta's thick traffic.

When I installed fairing lowers, the fog lamps were removed and I replaced them with Motolights. The link below is to their installation on my bike. They pricey, but nearly the same cost as the passing lamps you are considring. With the 50W bulbs, they put out more light than the passing lamps and a far more distinct light pattern than the passing lamps.
Motolights will preserve the clean fairing look of your SG.

A headlight modulator is also very helpful in being seen by cagers. I'll probably install one shortly.

Good luck with your research. Here's the link to the Motolights installation:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ics-added.html

Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although I haven't had a close call like that, but that's the main reason why I added Passing/Driving Lights before I left the dealer. They charged me 1.5hrs labor to install them. I understand it's an easy DIY job. (I added the screaming eagle setup....looks nice, and a good peice of mind.......although sh*t can happen anyway!!!!!!

ride safe

Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Glad you're both okay.

You should consider the HD fog lamp kit. It's a great value for $135 and uses 50W or 55W bulbs. Had them for 3+ years and never had anyone pull out on me in Metro Atlanta's thick traffic.

A headlight modulator is also very helpful in being seen by cagers. I'll probably install one shortly.
I've seen the HD fog lamp kit on was impressed with how it made that bike stand out. Ordered one myself, $110 from Zanotti's. A headlight modulator would also be good, and don't be shy about using that horn when you think someone's about to do something dumb!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Brakes, Lights, Noise and Horse Power all cost the big bucks and you can "Never" have enough of any of them!

Glad that you made it though that one. Have had a close one a time or two myself, bout charded myself from them. I know TMI.... )

Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

just remember that idiots still pull out in front of semi's and trains everyday. Have you seen all of the lights on a train?? More lights may help but there is never any guarantee.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you guys for all your advise.

I will look into the Fog light kit first thing tomorrow.

I know that the lights won't guarantee that someone will not pull out in front of me, but I may as well do what I can. I would hate to think that I didn't do something as simple as a set of lights that could avoided something like this in the future.

I am old enough to know that I don't heal like I use too! And I want to keep ridding for a long time. Thank you again!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser

Check out my sig pic. I am using Hella 2020s, which have both driving and fog lights within each unit. They mount on the crash bar and retail for about $50. Hella makes very good lights.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

When I bought mine last month the dealer wanted 300 for spot light frames 60 for the lights & 2.5 hours of labor which here meant 200 more. Total 560 installed. I bought the Manual ( had to order it took 1 week to come in) & the Fog lights. 120 for the lights 60 for the book. A friend & I took about 3 hours of no hurry. First time tearing apart a HD & my new bike. Total 180 & learned a lot. We did it the same way as the dealer would have. I asked a service guy after we finished.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
mrmike38z
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLoTR
just remember that idiots still pull out in front of semi's and trains everyday. Have you seen all of the lights on a train?? More lights may help but there is never any guarantee.

I know some people are gonna think I'm crazy for saying this but here it goes.

I read a study that focused on this. Since we were kids learning to drive what was the first thing we were supposed to do before pulling into an intersection or changing lanes? Look for oncoming "CARS". This has been engrained in our brain forever. During this study they figured out that during that spit second that the majority people look, they look for "CARS", not motorcycles, not trains, not semi's but cars. Most people are in a hurry and just glance, during that split second when they see no "cars" is when a accident happens. No not everybody is like this that's why it don't happen all the time. But there are those "unattentive" drivers, you know the "sing alongs" and "phone talkers" and the "tour guides" and "day dreamers". Those are the 80% you have to watch out for.

Think about it. You are driving down the road and see a police man, what is the first instinct to do. The foot, "or wrist"comes off the accelerator whether you are speeding or not, it's habit because that's what we were always told to do. ( I still do this).

Believe all this or not (I do). Thats why you have to look out for every cager out there.

Quick Reply: SG Passing/Driving Lights Question