Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Passing/Driving Lights Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RickDeVon
Harley- Jones was saved because of ABS and ABS alone IMHO........ With that said if he locked up non ABS he would have went down or would have had to get off the breaks. I think this is our first real post to really show the effect of ABS. Anyone buying 09 should not skimp on the ABS.
I don't want this to turn into a debate about ABS vs Non ABS. We have had plenty of them already.

But in this case you are 100% correct. There is no way I would have been able to stop and maintain control without ABS. Again, let me say "no way".

I am not a rookie rider. I have been on two wheels for 30+ years and have had several close calls. On any other of the 8 bikes that I have owned I would not have been able to stop in time to avoid a crash. The ABS saved us from injury and a wrecked bike.

I bought my SG off the showroom floor and it had the ABS option on it. Thats the only reason I have ABS. I didn't want it at the time. Didn't think I needed it.

Well.......I have changed my mind now and I will never be without it again.

Last edited by harley-jones; 02-09-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First let me say glad that you guys are oaky. I have an 09 Ultra with ABS on them. Of course I hope I never have to use them, but good to know they are there just in case. After reading your post I'm happy I got the ABS.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
C Clamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the ABS is well worth it. Of all the things on the new bikes that is one that I definitely want. On to the lights. Recommendation of a local indy, was these Drag Specialty lights.

Part number 2001-2049. I picked up a set for the wife's Softail. A small accident last month, left her with a broken collar bone, and some bike scratches for me to fix. Instead of replacing the stock light I went with these. They have a small bulb for a "running" light then a dual filament 55/60w bulb for low and high beam. I am not going to waste my time with the small bulb, but go with the low and high beam. The visor also matches the Harley headlight visor. It was also recommended that I get a set of the "blue/real white" type bulbs for them. Another nice thing is any wally world or parts store you can get a new bulb out on the road. I also have a set of whelen tir 3 red led's on the back of our bikes (xtra brake light) and noticed that they sell a small bracket for the front passing lamp mounting bracket. I was thinking of picking up a couple of these lights in clear and mounting on the front of our bikes under the headlight. I see a few bikes around with the "flashing" headlight mod. This isn't much different, but cheaper. As bright as these little lights are I don't think too many can miss you. Myself I will probably put a switch on them to turn off at night. I also have a clear and amber mounted on a plate under my tourpak hooked to the Aux. sw. If I run drag with the group they come in handy as warning lights in conjunction with the red ones.
http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.p...74&prod_id=145

Of course check with your local traffic laws to see if you can use something like this. Here it is legal, my brother who is a police officer said they would never go for it in NY. Good luck with your choices and be seen!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM
cudski
Cruiser

+1 on the triangle light affect.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 PM
salty01
Tourer

Glad everyone is ok! First thing I did on my 06 SG was get the passing lamps and put them on! With YELLOW or AMBER lights..believe me when I say they are WAY more visable to oncomers because...they are different!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by harley-jones
Well it happened to us today. Cruising at 55 on a four lane road, wife on the back and some jerkwod pulls out of a driveway right in front of us. When he finally sees us coming at him what does he do? He stops! I stop about 1ft from his rear fender.

I have had things in the past that I called close calls, but this one was real close.

Thank God for reflexes and ABS! This was my first real panic stop on my SG. I was full-on back and front brakes and the bike stayed straight and ground to a stop just in time, and I do mean just in time!

Anyway, I have decided that I need more lights on the front of my SG. Nothing up there now except the headlight and front running/turn signals.

Anyone know what it will cost me to have the dealer install the passing lamps?

And I am open to any other suggestions to make me more visible. I am convinced that this guy just didn't see us when he pulled out.

Thanks guys...I am thankful to be here to ask you this question!
This one scared me big time.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RickDeVon
Harley- Jones was saved because of ABS and ABS alone IMHO........ With that said if he locked up non ABS he "WOULD HAVE" went down or "WOULD HAVE" had to get off the breaks. I think this is our first real post to really show the effect of ABS. Anyone buying 09 should not skimp on the ABS.
"WOULD HAVE" And how do you know this? ABS is good no argument there but visibility shouldn't be overlooked. pun intended...
Not to bag on anyone's riding ability but defensive driving is utmost important. look for an out, never trust a turn signal and cover your brake.

harley-jones, I'm really am glad you and yours made it out OK.
Ride Free, ***** G.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to thank everyone for all the great info and the kind words.

This happened so fast and what everyone says about things going into slow motion is correct.
I have replayed this over in my head several times and I don't know of anything that I could have done different. When this guy pulled out, reflexes took over to get us stopped in time. There was no time to think "what should I do". It was that quick.
From 55mph with full on brakes we stopped literally inches from the trucks rear fender.

Anyway, you guys and gals watch e'm close out there! They are lurking everywhere.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad to know the ABS works as advertised and that all three of you (you, her and the bike) are all okay. Visibility is the reason I wired the passing lamps on my Ultra to stay on with the high beam on. And I ride, day and night with the high beam on. Yeah, I've heard the argument that I could get sued for causing an accident because some cager that was inattentive to begin with was momentarily blinded by my lights, causing them to drop their cell phone into their coffee and lose control of their car. Screw 'em. When it goes to court, they will have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. And the plus side is I will be in attendance in perfect health and not in a body cast. My .02

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones
Anyway, I have decided that I need more lights on the front of my SG. Nothing up there now except the headlight and front running/turn signals.

Anyone know what it will cost me to have the dealer install the passing lamps?
First, unless you re-wire the passing lamps to work with high-beams you may be more visible in the daytime with the headlight alone on high-beam. In the standard configuration the passing lamps only work on low-beam.

I thought about doing what you're considering on my SG but decided against it, mainly because I didn't want more weight on the steering mechanism and the cost of the hardware. If I did do it I would wire them for high-beam use, or possibly both, and use a relay rather than simply tapping into the high-beam circuit.

I've had a Kisan headlight modulator, Hella Euro-code headlight, and an 85/100w bulb installed for some time. The modulator has been on my last two bikes since 2002, and since that time have had no frontal incidents like what you've described. That said, I don't take this for granted and assume these yoyos will pull out in front of me anyway. I have had drivers change lanes on several occasions, forcing me off the road or in the opposing lane. None were particularly close calls and I was watching them, but these aren't related to lighting since I was in their blind spot. I now try even harder to stay out of the blind spots and watch cars on my side very closely at the ready to react.

I would also like to emphasize another factor in awareness: air horns. Buy a set of these and if you even think some schmuck in a cage is about to pull out in front of you hit the horns, as they will hear you. Very important IMO!

When I had my old RK with the 80/100w bulb and no modulator I ran some tests with the help of several friends. The bike also had higher-powered 37.5w quartz passing lamps, much brighter than stock. The first was to go down the road with low-beam and passing lamps and the second high-beam only. Everyone agreed that the high-beam alone was the most noticeable, and adding the modulator later made it even more so.

The problem with the passing lamps is that they aren't particularly bright and the low-beam is almost invisible in daylight. The high-beams, even with the standard 55/60w bulbs, penetrate much better IMO.

The Euro-code headlight is mainly a night visibility issue for me, with a much better pattern and "seeing distance" on both low- and high-beam. I doubt if it aids that much in daylight, however.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed the headlight to a silverstar bulb and add PIAA driving lights. I have the P1000C super white lights and those things are bright. They are expensive but then again so is someone pulling out in front of you. If you get down low and look straight into them in daylight they will blind you. So I would advise making sure they are aimed correctly. I got the wide beam version and they really light up the ditches at night along the road for spotting critters.

Quick Reply: SG Passing/Driving Lights Question