Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft lowers...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft lowers...opinions?

I am considering getting removable soft lowers for my 08 Road King to cut some wind during winter riding and rain spray on longer trips in the summer. For those with soft lowers, a few questions. 1) Are they easy to get on / off and fold to store in your saddlebags...I don't really like the look so only will have on when needed 2) how much wind and rain do they block? 3) it says they are not for above 50 degrees, so would that rule out using in a summer rainstorm [like a Texas Flood rain I have ridden through a number of times]? and finally 4) HD sells two versions, one with a logo and one without although they look to be different designs...is one better than the other ? [logo doesn't matter much to me as they ain't going on for the looks]! Any opinions thanks!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the better ones with the logo on them. They are very nice, go on in less then a minute and store flat in you tour pack or saddle bags. As a matter of fact I just cut out an area in each with a razor so the Harley Fog lights will work with them on. The fabric is a typr of denier nylon that cuts easy with a razor but is hard to tear. yes tehy say 50 or 55 degrees for max usage. They block alot of wind and I hve used them down to the high teens with chaps. They are great.
I think that you'll like th ones with the log more as the other looks like a bed comforter in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

When I had my 04 I had mama make some with black marine vinyl and stainless snaps from fabric store, cost was like $15 and looked better than you could buy

Old 02-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
When I had my 04 I had mama make some with black marine vinyl and stainless snaps from fabric store, cost was like $15 and looked better than you could buy
That sound like a good idea. You could use velcro instead of the snaps to have a stealth look as well!!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought some after another member mentioned he liked them. I would have to say it is one of the best buys for the money you can get! They really help in cooler riding conditions. I have used mine above 55 deg for rain but would not recomend it.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft Lowers

I love them. I have the Bar and Shield(better built) lowers. They go on in seconds and are awesome. I am ordering Color Matched Hard Lowers in 2 weeks. If you want to buy mine, I will give you a great price. I have used them for 3 months. They cut so much of the wind. Its hard to imagine they work so well. You have to try them to see the impact. Anyway, for the price, I dont know why everyone that rides in inclement weather doesnt have them in their saddlebags.
Stuart...

Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I also looked at Desert Dawgs and another brand. It seems that not all brand of soft lowers have to be taken off at higher temps. Desert Dawgs say you can leave them off....I think the difference is how close they come together in the center of the bike.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,705 Likes on 9,288 Posts

If you have highway pegs on your crash bars, you will probably have to cut slots in the soft lowers to accommodate them unless you ride with them up high.
They don't fit on the Road Glide very well because of the fairing support on the top of the crash bar.
They are good for up to about 50 degrees. Higher than that and you can smell the hot oil and engine.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
toolman44092
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Road Spirit soft lowers. They have cut-outs for highways pegs and mount with thick velcro strips. They don't move at all at speeds up to 90 (or so I've heard he he).

I think they were 40 or 45 bucks shipped to my door.

Attached Thumbnails Soft lowers...opinions?-road-spirit-sl.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Desert Dawgs and they do indeed cut down on wind. Highway pegs are not a problem. They do raise engine temps for me.

Quick Reply: Soft lowers...opinions?