Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft lowers...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Mohntonite
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set and really like them weather its cold or raining. But I think I will be getting a set of hards in the future so I dont have to mess with wondering where they are. Plus I like the look of the vented hards but its the price that gets me.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Bingo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from this ebay store.

http://stores.ebay.ca/MOTORCYCLE-SOF...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

He makes them for most models, including the Road Glide. They are cut for the fairing support, and they are cut on the sides to allow highway pegs to stick out.

Pros:
Easy on and off.
Store easily in the saddle bags.
Block the wind to keep my feet warm.

Cons:
They funnel air to the front cylinder, but create a bit of a vortex and my rear cylinder runs 100 C hotter than the front. I don't know if anyone else has checked the cylinder head temp while running these, but I won't run them on warm days.

But then, when it's warm I don't mind the wind anyway. They are always in the bag ready to go on when I need them.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
salty01
Tourer

Originally Posted by mile high king
I am considering getting removable soft lowers for my 08 Road King to cut some wind during winter riding and rain spray on longer trips in the summer. For those with soft lowers, a few questions. 1) Are they easy to get on / off and fold to store in your saddlebags...I don't really like the look so only will have on when needed 2) how much wind and rain do they block? 3) it says they are not for above 50 degrees, so would that rule out using in a summer rainstorm [like a Texas Flood rain I have ridden through a number of times]? and finally 4) HD sells two versions, one with a logo and one without although they look to be different designs...is one better than the other ? [logo doesn't matter much to me as they ain't going on for the looks]! Any opinions thanks!
Dont spend the $$ on the HD ones

try sagebrushdesigns google it. I have them on my SG and my Heritage..great to keep feet warm and dryer in the rain too.
I take em off after 60F but will run em in the warm rains too when touring. Fit very well and they have slots on sides for the hiway pegs in various positions.

Quick on and off, good quality, great price.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

On a side note...IF you use the soft ones you will hear engine noises that you never heard before with them on. They echo the engine noise right uo to you. Just so you know.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

Originally Posted by The Old Man
I have the better ones with the logo on them. ....
Not sure what makes the more expensive ones better than the less expensive ones from HD. I have the less expensive ones on my Road Glide. Mornings this time of year where I live are in the 40s, then warms up to 70. Even was down to 19 for afew nights last week.

The soft fairings snap on easily. Fit tight. No flapping or noise at 85 MPH on the freeway. They block the wind. The warmth of the engine then is not blown away, but comes up into the rider area and adds warmth and comfort.

I kept them on this morning until about 60 degrees. Unsnap. Stow into saddle bags. Problem was, when removed, that bubble of warm air went away.

They are good for rain as well. Problem is, they are not recommended for high temps, and if the temps are high and it is raining, they are not supposed to be used, presumably because of engine heat and overheatin.

If you don't have them, I highly recommed getting a pair. Which one? Less expensive or more expensive - up to you. Both do the job.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_Duck

They are good for rain as well. Problem is, they are not recommended for high temps, and if the temps are high and it is raining, they are not supposed to be used, presumably because of engine heat and overheatin.
Road Spirit's soft lowers have a gap on the inside that lets air flow to the motor so no prob using in rain on warm days.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
buzzy62
Advanced
Smile soft lowers

MHK, i have a set of the bar and shield from hd they have adjutable velco and buckles on them easy on and off. ran to mrytle beach this fall in the rain feet stayed dry and i had a rain suit on, bone dry but not my buddies. coming back once in by god WV after the summer went 20 deg. drop kept the wind off the knees. the next morning 28deg at 0800, 40 by 1000 thank god i had these they work get. get ya some, fold small and lay on the bottom of saddle bags.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Airlight brand from this web site http://www.airlite.ca/

You can ride them up to 60 degrees, they are easy to put on or take off and they fit smooth. No flapping or fluttering at all. One piece designs makes it lay smooth.

I absolutely love them and don't have to rely on my chaps as much. One of the best accessories I've ever owned. Definetely lets you ride in cooler weather.

I didn't want the Harley ones if I had to take them off over 50 degrees. I don't ride much below 50 degrees.

(I do not work for this company - just like the product)

Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser

use them with my rain gators on my feet. when its cold they really break the wind and keep your feet dry in the rain.
However I never use them when it over 50 and my gas milage goes down with them on. One other thing they creat a lot of wind that comes straight up in the front part of the tank right into my chest and face.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 AM
RYEDOGGRACING
Cruiser

Used mine most of this fall and loved them. When its warm i take them off and put them in the bottom of the saddle bag. When it rained me feet and lower legs were dry.

Quick Reply: Soft lowers...opinions?