Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Go with V&H
47.06%
Go with T-rex
29.41%
"F" both of them
23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

V&H Big Shot Duals vs HK T-Rex Duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: V&H Big Shot Duals vs HK T-Rex Duals

Pics???

Need to post some pics or links so it's easier for us lazy a$$'s to vote...LOL

I've got the V&H's True Dual w/Ovals. I can say the quality is second to none. Not sure if the sound would be the same, but they sure do sound good!!! My bike will be going in next week for the dyno tune seeing as I got the old SERT and not the updated 1 that works on '06's [:@]

Old 04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
mikael
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don´t know any reason for single pipes for each cylinder except maybe the look of some classic pipes that old school choppers have.

The name "true dual" is a so unbelivable marketing trick that cause me to allways smile when I read it......why true duals....is there any not true onces?

-Mikael

Old 04-20-2006, 03:42 PM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
William
Tourer

Cant go wrong with the vance and hines......

Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: strtgld

jfanton,

I have tried a couple different systems and here are the results of my research which includes trying the different systems on my SG. I first ordered the T-Rex, I admit I was impressed by the looks of these things. I never got to run these pipes because when I recieved them, the crome was pitted real bad, the kit was missing hardware, no instructions, and the bracket on the left pipe was welded crooked, so the pipe was kicked out. So right off the back I got a bad taste about this company, plus when I called them they did not want to do anything about it. It took me about five days to even talk to someone about these pipes. So I trashed them.

Next I tried the V&H true duals with Ovals. My first opinion of these pipes were good. Very good looking, good finish, good quality pipes. I was happy with the way they looked, but I did not really care for how they sounded or performed. I did get a gain in HP and TQ from stock. Was'nt much but it was there. All were dyno tuned and I have a stage1 and SERT. With all true duals you get a flat spot in throttle response right between 2500 to 3200 rpm, once you get through this rpm range the bike will pick back up. With true duals you will give up some performance for the looks. I love the way they look. So, you also have to consider that you cannot tune both cylinders the same, because the pipes on either side are different lengths, the bassini power curve addresses this issue but looks bad IMO. Also with true duals the throttle response is not as smooth. So I sold my true dual set up.

Finally I tried what I knew was a better setup but does not look as good as the true duals and that is a 2-1 V&H Propipe. I can't say enough about 2-1 pipes. They will perform better all the way around. After I had this system installed and had the bike retuned on the dyno I could not believe how much better the bike performed. When I first got on it and started the bike I got a grin from ear to ear. First the sound of a 2-1 on a V-twin is awsome. I then noticed that the throttle response was great. As soon as you cracked that throttle back it responded without hesitation. Then I rode the bike. All I can saw is WOW, it almost felt like I had cams installed, or a big bore kit, which is next for me. I got about 13 hp and tq from this system. My buddy also has a SG with a thunderheader exhaust on his, also another great performing and sounding pipe. He has a false left side pipe to balance the look. I can'y say enough about a 2-1 system. IMO there is no other type of exhaust to consider and I have tried other exhaust systems. I hope this helps you in your quest for an exhaust system.
I have V&H Oval Slip Ons on my StreetGlide and I really like the way the look and sound. I do have a 95" motor with SE cams though. The quote above could not be truer though. The first set of pipes on my 03 Fatboy were VH Straightshots. Not a good performance pipe of course, and not particularly good sounding. I DID NOT want to go with a 2-1 pipe for the customary reason....looks. I wanted to maximize my investment though so I put a Thunderheader on it. I'll repeat what Strtgld said....THERE IS NO COMPARISON. It changed my entire bike. I still haven't heard better pipes, low end torque was tremendous, and the bike smoothed out in a way that honestly made it feel like a totally different bike. After my SE Heads and Woods cams, the bike was sick fast and SMOOTH. A 2-1 pipe...take your pick, is one of the finest pleasures I've had on a motorcyle. So...why didn't I do a Thunderheader, D&D Fatcat, Propipe, Hooker, etc on my new Street Glide??? I like the looks of the dual pipes For now the Slip on Ovals look so good, and they offer a nice rich rumble with good smooth power delivery...but I know it's a matter of time before I go with either the TH and falsey or Fatcat with falsey. They are just that much better. I did hear somewhere that TH has ju

Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

Interesting...

A statistical dead heat so far between the three choices. []
Hopefully, there will be some more input on this thread over the weekend.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:28 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

Thanks to HDforum member JRAZ for meeting with me and letting me check out his V&H Big Shot Duals.

I have always had a bias towards V&H and after checking this system out and hearing it, I'm ordering a set tomorrow.

I was a little concerned that they might look a little anorexic on a (hard) bagger, not the case.
And in true V&H form, the fit and finish is impeccable.

They are a little on the loud side (for a stereo equipped bagger), IMO. But JRAZ says no problem at highway speeds on long trips. I'm strictly basing my opinion listening to the bike idle and cracking the throttle a bit while standing next to, and behind it. But they're definetly louder than your traditional bagger exhaust. But, there's a but. If I find them too loud (for me), there is an optional quiet baffle ($60 p/pair retail) that can be had.

Also, JRAZ is running the FuelPak and says his '06 SG runs great, no regrets. I was thinking of going the PCIII route, but I don't plan on doing any other performance mods (besides intake of course), so will most likely go with the FuelPak and keep it simple.

Do they make very good power? No. They only do 5hp and 4tq over stock, this directly from the head tech at V&H. But, I don't care. I don't weigh much and feel my '06 RG pulls plenty strong in it's stock form.

I really dig the looks of the HK T-Rex pipes at 1/2" larger diameter. But w/o seeing/hearing them in person I just can't pull the trigger. Also, they're more money, they continue to ship w/o installation instructions (no I don't need them, but some may), no end tip or baffle option, and no removable heat shield. I feel the removable heat shield is important, for reasons I won't go into right now. I've also been concerned about fitment with a 3" pipe, I mean I've got V&H 2.25" pipes on my Fat Boy and it's a tight tolerance at some points. But the one major problem I have with these T-Rex pipes is it's (front pipe) only mounted at the head and at the rear under the bag...Sorry, but from an engineering standpoint, I just don't get it. Could I clamp it if I wanted, probably. Should I have to, no. I'm not dissing the HK's, this is just my opinion based on what I've read here.

V&H has been around for quite awhile, I have Long Shots (modified) on my Fat Boy and they have performed, and continued to look flawless after eight years. So for me, it's a no-brainer.

Hope this may help anyone looking for an exhaust and thanks again JRAZ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4788/8C98492BA20F43718B5F287854A46342.jpg[/IMG]