Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour pack ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM
my glide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tour pack ?

bidding on a used tour pack on ebay some scratches needs new hinges latches and lock no mounting hardware will need repainting so my question is what should my max bid be i'm at 125 now am i already to high? oh yeah no backrest but it has lights and they are in good shape

Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Who's going to do the painting? What color? HD paint is expensive since it's available only in quarts for spraying, though you can get a PPG paint code and use a body shop with the facility to mix PPG paints and buy only what you'll need?

HD has nice chrome hinges for $46 for a pair for '06 and newer TP's; latches are about $21 ea.; lock mechanism and key to match is about ???? The top part of the latch that attaches to the lid uses blind rivets that you will probably have to have an HD tech install for you, and if you have to use the strap hinges, those rivets will also need to be done by an HD tech most likely.

If the TP is '96 or older, HD offers only one backrest that fits the existing holes; though, you can mount newer backrests if you drill some new holes in the lid.

Really, your max bid will be most influenced by how much it will cost to repaint versus what a new one from a 20% off list HD discounter (e.g. Zanotti's) would charge you.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Berndude
Tourer

What year tour pak???

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
my glide
Intermediate

the tour pack is an 07

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 AM
poppa cooter
Tourer

once you go tour pak you never go back. im not sure about the price but you will love the tour pak. i use mine everytime i ride. and your friends that don't have one will love it to cuz they always need someone to carry their drinks or jackets. lol

Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 AM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley PingMan is the authority on this. He helped me quite a bit.

My experience: I paid $600 for my used tour pak (shipped to me). It had everything but the docking kit for my bike. (Tour Pak, Top luggage rack, liner, light bar, detatch mounting bracket, antenna, backrest, etc.)

I had to add a $21.00 matched lock and a $54.00 Docking Kit.

The TP had a few surface swirl scrathes and 3 or four niks that required touch up paint. Eventually I might repaint it again (but its good enough for now and it cleans up pretty well once its waxed.)

The thing that amazes me is how much work it actually took to finally see the finished product. It was fun, but took some time to research it, buy it, install the docking hardware, hook up electrical, and antenna (and potentially install a Dakota Digital Antenna in the front fairing for when you're not going to have the TP on...) Add to that a George Anderson relocation kit (if you need to scoot it back more than stock settings, etc.) For a guy who is simply not mechanically inclined, it is a bit of an effort! After screwing around with aligning the bolts on the fender that attach the docking hardware for a few hours (memories of when I did this for the sissy bar), I broke down and decided to give it up to the dealer. They put together the quick-disconnect wiring and antenna disconnect, got the bloody docking kit put on and voila - $200 in labor later, I now have my tourpak wired up with lights, antenna, detachable, etc.

(Considering I haven't actually been able to use it yet with the winter in full effect) I'm sure I'll be more positive on the whole thing when I can actually ride.

My point is that the process of adding a tour pak is just that - a process.

A good winter project. Enjoy!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a perfect Fire Red Pearl and Black Pearl complete in the classified, if you need this color.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Have you looked at Craigslist ? I picked up a complete older pak in need of some fiberglass repairing for $75. You might find a deal.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Buckwheat said: "Harley PingMan is the authority on this." Slow down, man. I'm no authority; just a bit experienced in having gone through buying a used TP, replacing hardware, repainting, etc.

When repainting is involved, and you have to pay someone to do it, it's very difficult to beat the HD price of a new King TP. Accessories that are included, custom paint to match bike, enjoyment of working on rehab projects, etc. come into play so it becomes an individual choice.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
revelator2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the ebay tour pak this winter. I bought an older 80's style for I think 76.00. It had no cracks, just looked like crap...and that was with no backrest either. I looked long and hard to get one this cheap. Fortunately I am a painter and I had left over paint from the past winter project of painting my RK. I did do all the updates like new latches like the later style...moved the lock cylinder up (new lock and matched keys $22 I think....chopped backrest 160.00...weatherstrip for lid $15). In the end I got out cheap for a tour pak. But then again...I did all the work myself.