Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop or Avon tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop or Avon tires

I have been running the dunlops on my bikes (goldwings in the past). A buddy told me to go with the avon venom. Any comments comparing the avon to the dunlop.
thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Avons wear out twice as fast as Dunlops...but hey, it's your money.

They are a softer compound.
Stick like glue.
Just don't last.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my rear tire at 10K and went with an Avon. IMHO the issue of them wearing out "quicker" wont outwiegh the handling improvements for me. The bike just rides better with them on, so I will be using them again in the future, even if it means getting 7500-8000 out of a tire. At 14,000, the tread looks well.

This is kind of like and oil thing....The bike runs better after an oil change. Any new tire replacing a well worn, stressed old tire with make you feel like you have night and day improvements.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

I purchased a set of 18x18 RCcompenent wheels and they had Avons mounted on them. Front was a Venom and the rear had a AV31 on it. I got them from FatBaggers at the Myrtle Beach ralley in the spring of 07. Just before the 4th of July and 3k miles later I just happened to notice the rear tire was slick and cord was showing. The tire had weird discoloration. I immidiately call FBI and they said to send the tire back to them and they would send it to Avon. I replace the AV31 with a Venom. I finally got word from FBI that Avon said I was doing burn outs and that is why the tire wore out so quick. To this day, I have never done a burn out with my Street Glide...never and I told them that but Avon insisted that was what I was doing. 3200 miles later the Venom was slick. I replaced both the front and back with Metzler's and currently have 8k miles on the tires and they still look very good. So, I wouldn't recommend getting a set of Avon tires I would recommend Metzlers, they are made much better and you can actually ride and not have to worry about the damn things wearing out. As far as better handling, Both the Avon and Metzler gripped better than the stock tires did. Another comparision also, the Avon was never rode on two up, the Metzlers I have used on multiple 1000k mile trips with the bike loaded down with the tourpak on and riding two up.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

I've run the Avon Venoms and as mentioned, they do wear out quicker but stick like superglue... now the ME880 by Metzler is also a sticky tire and you'll get a bit more tire life out of it. When I replace my stockers, going to the 880.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:40 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

New tires for me in March. Reading this site, folks had issues with both Avons & Metzlers wearing out quickly but love them because they are sticky. I haven't seen anybody yet have any problems with Dunlops Elite 3's. Folks are getting good mileage out of them. Let me know if I'm wrong because I'm getting ready to order.
Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 05:46 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run the metzler 880 on both my current bikes and on other bikes i have had .like all tires WATCH YOUR AIR PRESSURE i run 45 psi front and back .i know that it seens like a lot but it rides good

Old 02-07-2009, 06:15 AM
KW1962
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the recommendation of a fellow touring rider I am running the Dunlop Elite 3's now. He claims 20K out of a set but I can't verify that yet. I do like the fact that these tires don't wander like the original Dunlops on metal grated bridges or grooved concrete. As far as "sticky", can someone explain that? My riding is all 2 up and mostly loaded on an Electraglide. How hot do you really need to go into a curve? Softer compounds will wear out quicker. Buy the tires suited to your riding style. Elite 3's at Dennis Kirk were less than OEM, BTW.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

+1 dunlop Elite-3's.... good grip, good wear...

Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,184 Posts

I've been riding 36+ years and have tried most all brands on my street ride (except Cheng Shin).

Been 30 years since I tried a Perelli and I don't remember (?) Metzlers won't air crack, so if you're a 2000 miles a year rider that's a good choice. Avons wear out quick regardless, but do ride and handle exceptionally well. If you ride like Harley tour bikes were generally intended, you can't get better all weather performance or bang for your buck than D402 Dunlop.

Mine have 28,000 front / 15,000 rear and are still legal... (barely) Frame/wheel alignment is very important and keping the correct pressures is critical.

Quick Reply: Dunlop or Avon tires