Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helped a kid on a crotch rocket today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Richpend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helped a kid on a crotch rocket today!

My friend and I were out for a ride today a beautiful 70 something degrees out. We were stopped at a light and I saw the guy on a crotch rocket going in the opposite direction approaching the light when a truck pulled out in front of this kid, and then he went down. The light turned green so we turned to help this guy, as I parked my bike I saw this kid get up and throw helmet to the ground. And I asked him if he was alright and said yes just some road rash. I helped him pick up his bike and take it to the side. The man in the truck said he did see him, ( isn't it the way it always is) The kid looked like he was 21 or so , as we were waiting for cops to arrived I asked the kid if he had insurance on the bike and he said no, because the bike look pretty new. I asked him if he a license for a motorcycle and he said no. So I knew he was also going to be cited even though he was not a fault.. I'm just glad he was not seriously hurt!! You know a lot of these kids riding these crotch rockets and they are a lot of theme too, I bet most of them don't have licences or insurance and they ride like bats out of hell!! Just be safe out there and watch those other drivers!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yowzah! No ins? No license? Ouch. That's an expensive lesson. You made a difference though, when he stops to think about it.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Ya did the right thing.---- Maybe the "kid" learned something from you.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree 100%, you bet, you did the right thing. You are right though, many of these younger adults can only afford the bike, no ins. And that's a bad deal.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
wildeano
Tourer

Im glad the kid is alright and made it out of the ordeal, here in florida they just passed a law last year that in order to get a bike liscense you have to complete a rider safety course and wear a helmet if under 21. A lot of harley dealers here offer the courses.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
dmp
Cruiser

The CA highway patrol did a study and something like 80% of All motorcycle operators don't have a valid motorcycle licence

Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
richnakol
Cruiser

I came over to my street glide from my crotch rocket. I just want to say that there is a serious stereotype of guys who ride sport bikes. There are more guys that make a bad name for that group of bikes than any other groups. I understand that.
I was paying 230 dollars a month for insurance. My agent told me that they figure the life expectancy of those bikes is about 8 months. Most guys cant afford the insurance that i rode with. No excuse, I know. Im glad you stoped to help him. I wrecked my bike when i had it. Going around a corner to fast. I was very grateful for the people who stoped to help me. It took that accident for me to put things in perspective. I traded the bike in as soon as I was able to.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 763 Likes on 528 Posts

Always a shame to see or hear about stuff like that. We had a kid where I worked last summer, 20 yrs old, went and bought a nice Honda 600 rocket, I knew he'd lay it down in less than a month and of course, he did. Claimed in a moment of panic swerving to avoid an accident that his front brake locked up and his hand wasn't on the lever.
Yeah, right, uh huh, that happens all the time

The young ones can't comprehend the speed of sport bikes and they don't have the handling or braking skills to save themselves (or should I say rarely).

I never want to come up on a pile of squid in the road.

He's lucky, hopefully he'll learn.

I was lucky, and learned.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Big L
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 162 Likes on 129 Posts

Good looking out for a fellow rider. Maybe he will come on over to the dark (H-D) side after his ordeal.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice job.

Quick Reply: Helped a kid on a crotch rocket today!