Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pc111- fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
wildeano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess one of my problems with trying to do anything to the pc111 is i dont have a laptop or any of the software, as the independent shop did the mapping and dyno run. as i said i plead ignorance, and may i ask ,, what needs to be done to lean out the cruise range? can i do it with the buttons on the pc111 or should i take it back to my indy?? i appreciate your help.. like i said,, i would like to at least get 38 or 40 mpg, but the bike is running great , but only 34 mpg

Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My PCIII is set a bit leaner at cruise. I get 45mpg at 75mph riding 2-up.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've played around with this quite a bit and there are quite a few threads on this topic here. Basically, to increase highway-cruising mileage you should reduce the values in your base map between 2-3k RPM and 5-20% TP. Those of you with PCV's and the new TC96/103 engine can use 5-15%, although the 15% column isn't available in the PCIII chart.

I would start with reducing these values by 1/2, but if you have an oil cooler you can go further. My last setup had values down to all zeros in that range and reduced to 1/2 or even more at 40% TP. I wouldn't reduce the values anywhere above 3k RPM and 40% TP, as going too far up will affect performance and you'll need that for passing trucks and drag-racing your friends for beer--both very important events in our lives. If you reduce 40%, or even if not, you may feel a four-barrel-carb effect--sort of a surge when you hit that range as you get into richer territory. I didn't mind this but not everyone may like it.

I tuned by the seat of my pants, listening for detonation; feeling for surging, hesitation, and excessive heat; and watching for high oil temps. With an oil cooler you can go further with leaning, and that's how I was able to basically zero out the map in the cruise range without any adverse side-effects, even in summer. To complicate things even more I installed a multifunction hub and map switch and was able to switch to Jamie's rich map on the fly. That was my escape route if I got caught in traffic with a very lean map. Pegging the ****-retentive scale was my project to add two small fans on the oil cooler. This coupled with the map switch actually helps slow the accent of oil temperature when the traffic gets heavy in hot weather, but won't stop it.

I tried using -10's at 5-10% and 2-3k RPM, and that produced some mild surging when cold at part throttle and an occasional hesitation off-idle when cold. I decided that was going too far and backed down. Before installing the PCV in the cooler months I had the values at -5 there and it ran fine, but I wouldn't go that far in summer. Note that I'm referring to an '07 FLH, so I can't say how zeroing these values will affect an '08 or '09, although I would bet the effect would be very close.

Based on what I'm seeing with the values of my new PCV-AT's trim table, zeroing the cruise range produces about stoich (14.7:1 AFR), which will be too lean for most of you, especially if you have no cooler installed. That's why I suggest cutting the values in half in this range and check your mileage. Keep cutting and watch, listen, and feel what's going on--then stop when you're happy. There will be a sweet spot between good mileage and engine cooling, and that spot will likely be different for everyone.

Also, I would leave the ignition-advance tables alone, especially with '07's since they are already set very close to the threshold of detonation in stock form. I hear '08's and '09's can be raised, but they are probably already elevated in Jamie's map. I wouldn't tamper with the ignition tables at all even though more advance without detonation can make the bike run cooler and increase mileage. With knock sensors working you won't hear knock for long, so don't think it is a sustained thing. Every time I messed with these values I ended up putting them back to original very soon thereafter.

I've gotten as high as 50mpg on slow cruises on the backroads (~55mph) with little or no stop-and-go traffic and light on the throttle. In city I don't do as well, around 40mpg, even lower in cold weather. On a trip last spring I averaged 45.5mpg even though 550 miles of it was a blast down the I-10 with a 20mph headwind (42mpg). I was happy with that, and my best tank on that trip was 50.5mpg, the all-time high for the bike.

Last edited by iclick; 02-06-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mattman22033
My PCIII is set a bit leaner at cruise. I get 45mpg at 75mph riding 2-up.
I don't think you're going to do any better than this. What do your values look like in the cruise range?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by wildeano
i guess one of my problems with trying to do anything to the pc111 is i dont have a laptop or any of the software, as the independent shop did the mapping and dyno run. as i said i plead ignorance, and may i ask ,, what needs to be done to lean out the cruise range? can i do it with the buttons on the pc111 or should i take it back to my indy?? i appreciate your help.. like i said,, i would like to at least get 38 or 40 mpg, but the bike is running great , but only 34 mpg
I never used the buttons and considered them an emergency option to tune when a computer isn't available. They basically divide the RPM range into 1/3's (0-2k, 2-4k, and 4-6k) and each step up or down represents a 5% change. To go up push the button, to go down push the button and hold. You could try bumping the middle LED down one step at a time and try it, but the best method would be to use a computer and the PC software.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is right on time. iClick comes through again.

I've only got about 80 miles on my bike since installing the PC III and Ness A/C two days ago. I haven't really gotten an accurate account of MPG, but I will say that the needle seemed to move down to "E" a bit faster than usual. Of course, I was revving it hard every chance I got, from redlight to redlight and also lots of roll-ons in the mid rpms. Bike seems to be running pretty good with the new mods.

I like the idea of getting good MPG while cruising but getting max power when you twist it open. The power surge sensation you described sounds pretty cool actually. Guess I'll have to mess with those a little bit. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
wildeano
Tourer

Thanks for your feedback ,iclick , i stated i new very little about this tuning stuff and you seem to be well read in the tuning processes, my bike runs well and gets about 34mpg, but ive been thinking that i have been doing a lot of city driving lately, and the weather in florida has been chiily for us floridians, and it seems as the weather is cooler my mpg has went down.. I do, run an oil cooler as you mentioned, i guess maybe i should run 4 or 5 more tanks thru the bike in different conditions and re -check mileage after each fillup. My tuners said he can richen the cruise range up for me , but i fear decel pop. Also i dont have map on computer from my indy, he gave me the dyno run sheet, and that was all. I bought the pc111 thru him, and he mapped it. I thank everyone for your input

Attached Thumbnails Pc111- fuel mileage-oneinchrist.gif  
Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
wildeano
Tourer

I hope i can upload these scans of the dyno papers, the first dyno sheet shows the dyno when i had the tv111 tuner on the bike and the second one is the dyno sheet after i put the pc111 on the bike

Attached Thumbnails Pc111- fuel mileage-scan0001.jpg   Pc111- fuel mileage-scan0002.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

That sucker has a good bark and nice sound overall.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
wildeano
Tourer

Originally Posted by wildeano
I hope i can upload these scans of the dyno papers, the first dyno sheet shows the dyno when i had the tv111 tuner on the bike and the second one is the dyno sheet after i put the pc111 on the bike
i will repost the dyno sheets , as i have rotated them,, for anyone who might be interested

Attached Thumbnails Pc111- fuel mileage-scan0001.jpg   Pc111- fuel mileage-scan0002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pc111- fuel mileage