Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
Thats a good savings soos. But i end up changing my oil about 4 to 5 times a year. every 3 to 4,000 miles and put alot of miles on. I know the amsoil is expensive but its good oil.
It's your money and your business, but Amsoil is an excellent oil and really doesn't need to be changed that often. I did a two lab tests of my oil about 10 years ago in my Evo, one in summer and another in winter, and at 5k miles the oil was still in good shape. TBN showed little exhaustion as well as wear metals being very low. I know Amsoil would perform well in a similar lab test too, as would any high-quality synthetic.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what your saying i think the amsoil would be good to 5 or 6K with no issues i guess its just a habit and its not hurting anything but my wallet by about $80 bucks a year for the extra change.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
hitone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I started this thread, I thought I would maybe finish it. After all the discussion and the various opinions, I found Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50 at Canadian Tire for $9.50/litre and will try that for my Spring oil change at 1/2 the price of Amsoil.
I will send along my impressions once done and ridden!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You have a good education now on what you need to do about the price of oil no need to add my .02 I like what I use because it does what I want and it is synthetic.Good Luck

Old 02-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Use dino,just change more often
Agree, thats what I do.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Kostus
Intermediate
Default Oil Bible

Here ya go..the online bible of oil forums.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=49&page=1
Check out the "Used oil analysis/motorcycle"

Many industry experts post here. If you want good info on oil, this is the place.

Amsoil 20/50 here in all 3 holes...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tbrenan
People, people, you have to look north for the difference in the dollar last December HD parts went up 25% because of the money difference, freight costs, once goods come into Canada are twice US prices, and Wally does not carry all the stuff the US stores do.

We are a very large country with a very small population and high taxes, it costs to live here, even with most of the base stock for petroleum products coming from Canada.
Why do you think we're down here? You oughta join us.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
hitone
Cruiser

As I said earlier, I bought another brand of Synthetic for my spring oil change at less than $10/litre and I thought I was done with the Amsoil and their rediculous pricing and then I attended the Ottawa Ontario sportsman show. I complained at the Amsoil distributer booth about the cost and expressed the fact that they were losing a loyal customer.
He immediately signed me up for a preferred customer status and will provide me with an ID that will allow me to purchase the 20W50 oil and other products ata great rate $11/litre which is less than I paid at the dealer before the price hike.
Go figure!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Mobil1 V-Twin for $9 a quart at Wally World. The local dealer wants $13 a quart for the same stuff!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hitone
He immediately signed me up for a preferred customer status and will provide me with an ID that will allow me to purchase the 20W50 oil and other products ata great rate $11/litre which is less than I paid at the dealer before the price hike.
Go figure!
Let us Canadians here know how that "preferred customer" thing works out cause I ain't paying $20/ltr for any damm oil. I've got Amsoil in the bike right now but maybe not next time I change it.

Quick Reply: Cost of Synthetic Oil