Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Location: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying Lowers

Is it possible to modify a set of FLH lowers to fit a FLT? What is the difference between the two? Trying to save some $$$ as opposed to new from the STEALER. Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
aussiesport
Advanced

mate sorry to say they are way diffrent at the top to fit into the bottom of the fixed fairing on the roady but like they say nothing is impossible with the right amount of nouse and dollars

Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottiman
Is it possible to modify a set of FLH lowers to fit a FLT? What is the difference between the two? Trying to save some $$$ as opposed to new from the STEALER. Thanks
huh?
What year model is the FLH?
If these bikes are both late model, the lowers are the same.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

No, and if you look at the pics of the Road Glide lowers in the HD catalog and/or website, they are obviously shorter above the engine guard than the EG versions. That means a helluva lot of or work to modify the EG lowers to work on an RG. You'd be better off getting a part time job with your time and making the money to buy the RG lowers, than taking the time involved to modify EG lowers to fit IMO.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, the HD catalog/website tells you what fits and doesn't fit. They know, they have been doing this for a few years now I heard.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed here. I have never saved money by trying to save money. After the fact, you usually have to buy the right "stuff" anyway. So, if you want to save some money, buy the right ones. Damn these machines are expensive!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

wad wondering the same thing thanks guys for the info and ride safe

Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swlamedic
You know, the HD catalog/website tells you what fits and doesn't fit. They know, they have been doing this for a few years now I heard.
In this case the model fitment as per the MOCO catalog is right, but I have bought and installed MANY items, which the catalog said wouldn't fit but did without issue. I think you may be giving that pencil neck in the promotions/ad department too much credit.

This forum is a great place to validate real world against the many errors and omissions found in the MOCO catalog and packaging. Too bad the MOCO does not have a forum for getting feedback on their erroneous fitment information.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
This forum is a great place to validate real world against the many errors and omissions found in the MOCO catalog and packaging. Too bad the MOCO does not have a forum for getting feedback on their erroneous fitment information.
I agree and maintenance questions sometimes get the same treatment from manual police. But I have found Harley maintenance manuals sometimes vague and hard to understand. Experienced mechanics on this forum who have a few years on these bikes always seem to know a better, easier and faster way to fix something. Changing fork oil is one example.

Beary