Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by powdercoater
1 mil = .001 inches, or 1000th of an inch. In other words, 1000 mils = 1 inch so a single coat of powder should average .003 to .006 inches thick. The actual "optimum" thickness is suggested by the powder manufacturer for the specific powder being used on the MSDS or other data sheet provided with the product. Different powders will have slightly different suggested thickness requirements... but now I'm getting a little too deep.
just like I said a pubic hair. I shaved 1000 of em off of her and they equaled 1 inch and 1 of em was as thick as that black stuff on my bike.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
just like I said a pubic hair. I shaved 1000 of em off of her and they equaled 1 inch and 1 of em was as thick as that black stuff on my bike.
Your system of measurment is much better than Metric or Standard.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powdercoater
1 mil = .001 inches, or 1000th of an inch. In other words, 1000 mils = 1 inch so a single coat of powder should average .003 to .006 inches thick. The actual "optimum" thickness is suggested by the powder manufacturer for the specific powder being used on the MSDS or other data sheet provided with the product. Different powders will have slightly different suggested thickness requirements... but now I'm getting a little too deep.
Tramslates to 75 to 150um in metric speak, which ties up with my instinct and sounds spot on. In the UK we call "Mils" - "thou". Demonstrates again how 2 countries can be seperated by a common language :-)

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 AM
aussiesport
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the ! in the uk youcall mils thou ...shoot in oz we call thou= thousanth's of an inch and mils= mm"millimetres" how can ya call mils thou?? that would be like saying a ounce is a litre?! and a powder coat is a powder so it would be pounds not kilograms ! and a pound of powder is a lot if its cociane ?! but how many key's in a kilo of cocaine

Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

It's OK aussiesport... deep breaths... deeeeep breaths. Everything will be alright. Dude, you've gotta relax a little.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aussiesport
what the ! in the uk youcall mils thou ...shoot in oz we call thou= thousanth's of an inch and mils= mm"millimetres" how can ya call mils thou?? that would be like saying a ounce is a litre?! and a powder coat is a powder so it would be pounds not kilograms ! and a pound of powder is a lot if its cociane ?! but how many key's in a kilo of cocaine
Looks like we may have 3 countries seperated by a common language now :-) If you follow the thread back I think you will find that the Aussie and the Pom are in agreement

Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
aussiesport
Advanced

rofl k k im breathin again now , oh and i have seen in a few tv"shows" that they double up on powder coat sometimes as well so it would be even thicker than normal?! aperently from what ive heard the second coat gives a better shine ,bit like using more thinners in top coat when painting?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
RYEDOGGRACING
Cruiser

I powder coat as much as i can. It is very hard scratch and last a long time.

Attached Thumbnails Powder coat question....-hayabusa-08-slammed.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aussiesport
rofl k k im breathin again now , oh and i have seen in a few tv"shows" that they double up on powder coat sometimes as well so it would be even thicker than normal?! aperently from what ive heard the second coat gives a better shine ,bit like using more thinners in top coat when painting?
Hey, I'm glad you're OK now... had me worried there for a minute.

You are correct about 2+ coats of powder. If thickness is an issue your best bet is to talk to your powder coater first.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RYEDOGGRACING
I powder coat as much as i can. It is very hard scratch and last a long time.
Nice work on the Busa!

Quick Reply: Powder coat question....