Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
swilcoxaz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Satellite Radio

I would love to have Satellite Radion on my '09 SG. Is there any alternative to the $500+ HD XM module other than plugging a portable unit into the accessory jack? $500 seems to be really pricey for an add-on module - even with Harley's pricing.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

You can always wire in a portable unit into the antenna system and have it play on the radio station of your choice. I use 88.1 or 88.3 for my XM and only have to change on rare occasions. I picked up a handlebar clamp for the unit on ebay and it works great. Almost looks like it belongs there. Cables follow the wiring from the left hand controls into the fairing. Love the XM when crossing states like SD and there is "nothing but miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles"

Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Portables are OK I used one for a while and they work fine. The problem is there not water proof, they need to be put away when parked and there not as easy to change channels and turn up a down and if your using fm modulated then the sounds not as good. The price of the HD unit is high but I bought mine from Chicago HD and got 20% off which helped. If you can handle the price the HD unit is the way to go.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always loved maintaining the integrity of a stock radio. Warranty, functionality etc. But I am thinking that I can sell the HD radio for about $600 and I can buy a really nice aftermarket with ipod control and sat radio built in and get PAC handlebar control hookup and be ahead of the game with money to spare for new speakers.

I look at it this way.

XM MOD $500 + $600(from selling stock radio) = $1100

Pioneer/Alpine radio with SAT + PAC under $400.
ARC Setup from Firecap with AMP under $500.
$200 left over for beer and accessories.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Originally Posted by swilcoxaz
I would love to have Satellite Radion on my '09 SG. Is there any alternative to the $500+ HD XM module other than plugging a portable unit into the accessory jack? $500 seems to be really pricey for an add-on module - even with Harley's pricing.

I used the Sirius Sportster three for 70.00
Ordered the Sirius motorcycle mount 59.00

And all set, use the aux jack on the radio ran the wires though the fairing so it is a nice neat install, I will try to post pictures later today. Benefit for this is it was also $400 to add XM to my Toyota hybrid cage and with the extra dock that comes with the motorcycle mount for the same price I have satellite radio in my cage as well. Takes less then a min to pop it from one to the other.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pics on that set up with the Sirus motorcycle mount?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
SA315B
Road Captain

It’s the price you are going to have to pay for a clean install and hassle free operation. Or you can add one more thing to the clutter (GPS, cup holder, cell phone mount, etc).

Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser

I have an XM SkyFi 2 on my right handlebar mounted on a RAM mount. I've had it there for years. It works for me and I'm happy with it. I throw a ziplock bag with a rubber band over it if I expect rain. I can switch the control head from the UC to the RG or take it off and use it in the garage on my XM boom box. I can't justify $500 for the Harley setup but I'm sure it works well for some people. I would lean towards a seperate control head, though. You'll get a lot more functionality out of a seperate control head. I don't know about other control heads but the SkyFi 2 has a TiVo type of function to it that I really like.

I'm sure there are other web sites out there but try www.xm411.com. Go into the forums and look for the installations. There are a lot of guys with different radios and mounts on a lot of different types of bikes. You may not find one that suits you but it will give you some good ideas.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Originally Posted by HDUltraRider
I used the Sirius Sportster three for 70.00
Ordered the Sirius motorcycle mount 59.00

And all set, use the aux jack on the radio ran the wires though the fairing so it is a nice neat install, I will try to post pictures later today. Benefit for this is it was also $400 to add XM to my Toyota hybrid cage and with the extra dock that comes with the motorcycle mount for the same price I have satellite radio in my cage as well. Takes less then a min to pop it from one to the other.

Here are some pictures of the install - sorry about the picture quality but the garage is not the best. Also for all those with weather concerns the motorcycle mounting kit comes with a weather cover for the unit.

Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-p2050019.jpg   Satellite Radio-p2050020.jpg   Satellite Radio-p2050021.jpg   Satellite Radio-p2050022.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

Check out my pics and you can see my Pioneer Inno.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio