Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 owners, hows the heat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my 09. Worth every penny to trade the 08 Ultra I had. Too cold to tell about the heat

Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have an 09, but just wanted to say be careful relying on a fuel upgrade to relieve heat. I have the works on my 07 and it still fries my nuts all summer.
I think it's part of ownership - you're basically sitting on the motor.
I'd swap today if I didn't want to loose my azz, but I'd do it for reasons other then heat.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Buck Naked
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
I've got an 06 RK and just found out that upgrading to the new cam chain system was gonna run about $1000. ( service said they are doing about 2 upgrades a week ). Was told you can't just switch out the chain to a roller chain. So, I was thinking I may just say pizz on it and get a new 09. Was wondering how bad the engine heat is on a stock bike. I thinking of just adding slipons for sound and that's it.
I think my '09 RKC is cooler than my '07 Fatboy ever was...

Old 02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as I really love my 09 Ultra , the heat is really intense on the right side when stuck in slow going traffic.
My last bike , an 06 EG Standard was not nearly as hot as this.
My Ultra came with mid frame deflectors , and I'm surely not going to remove them (ever).
My wife doesn't notice any difference other than her left foot seems a bit cooler on the new bike.All in all , I still enjoy the 09 much more for the handling,braking,and the 6 speed tranny.
Actually , the bike seemed to run a bit cooler as the engine breaks in , just like the 06 did.
Time will tell.
Mick

Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

No issues so far here and I run lowers. It's been in the 60 - 70s here. I'll let you know when I take off for Sturgis in August. Have a feeling the lowers will be off by then...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:45 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RJ's Originals

Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about running cooler, but the heat coming off the engine seems to be cooler. I wish i had some of that heat the other day when it was a bit chilly here. I don't want to say how cold it was because I am sure it was not a cold as is it up north.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Berndude
Tourer

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I beleive I read somwhere that on the 09's you actually have a switch that in traffic you kill the power to the rear cylinder to help with the heaing problem, now is this switch just a myth? I wish I could do the same on my 03.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Berndude
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I beleive I read somwhere that on the 09's you actually have a switch that in traffic you kill the power to the rear cylinder to help with the heaing problem, now is this switch just a myth? I wish I could do the same on my 03.
Haven't used it yet but my understanding is the "switch" is just throwing the throttle forward. However, I believe the owners manual says this "feature" doesn't come activated from the factory but the procedure can be done by the owner to activate it.

No heat issues but haven't seen anything higher than 70 since purchase.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a fuel management system on mine and right side was only slightly warm before I put mid-frame air deflectors on my Street Glide. It gets very hot here in West Texas and this was not that big of a deal.

Also, the pipe is bent differently than the '08's so it is not as close to your thigh before.

Quick Reply: 09 owners, hows the heat?