Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs or not to abs? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Richpend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first bike and it has the ABS system on it, after researching this topic before I got my bike, I made my decision on getting them. I have practice panic stops many of times and I thank God I have not had to use them in a real situation, but love the way it comes to a sudden stop in the time of need!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Harley has been putting ABS on police bikes for years. Problem with civilian use was that it took up a lot of room in the right side saddlebag. Now with a greater degree of miniaturization and electronics they are able to mount the units inside the frame near the battery.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM
raymond1ford
Intermediate

Well... I must say that had I known that this question would have **** off so many people I would have never asked. For those of you who ramble on about how you are so tired of these ABS threads and what a waste of time they are and blah blah blah.. you certainly can't be to tired of seeing them because you still take the time to read thru them and also find enough time in your busy schedule to even leave a nasty reply..

For everyone else I want to thank you for taken the time to give your honest opinions and your personal experiences... You have given me great insight on this issue. And yes I have already purchased the bike that does not have ABS, so now I have to decide whether or not to take the hit on buying a bike Which has ABS or figuring out if this option can be installed after the fact or maybe try the link provided for braking traction ....

Again Thank you very much And My appologies for my ignorant lack of consideration when it comes to posting a thread that has previously been addressed.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by harley-jones
I love to read oil threads and Abs threads. I got to go make some popcorn!
I'm right with you there!

There is a lot of nonsense written whenever either of those subjects get aired and we could do with some analysis of just why this happens, to help those who feel the need....

Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by raymond1ford
My appologies for my ignorant lack of consideration when it comes to posting a thread that has previously been addressed.
Apology accepted! First rule for newbies - see if there is any help already available....

Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDwoman1
Can ABS be installed post factory installation?
No, if the bike doesn't have it from the factory, they don't have an add on solution yet. I asked when I was going to order my bike.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Personally, I've never had ABS on a bike. Personally, I never will.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hogginit
Harley has been putting ABS on police bikes for years. Problem with civilian use was that it took up a lot of room in the right side saddlebag. Now with a greater degree of miniaturization and electronics they are able to mount the units inside the frame near the battery.
BMW and Honda have been doing that since 1993. I think it was more a matter of willingness on H-D's part to move in that direction than the technology not being available. Even my '05 Yamaha TDM900 has its ABS sensors hidden in the wheels.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Default Abs

I have ABS on my 105th ultra, and had to use it last summer. Loved it, bike come to a dead stop standing up, without falling left or right.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Personally I have seen instances where in my car, coming to a stop light/sign in the winter when there is ice on the road where the ABS actually releases the brakes and my car would fly through the intersection. Rumble strips too...try hard braking over those with ABS and the brakes will release and you will not have any braking power.
I was driving in the city one snow storm in my Trailblazer and was going 10mph down a big hill....totally snow covered. I needed to stop due to the light being red at the bottom of the hill. I hit the brakes about a 1000 feet before the light and the ABS kicked in and would not stop me because it was not letting me lock up the brakes. I ended up going all the way down the hill, through the intersection at 10mph with my foot on the brake the whole time. That made me want to pull the ABS fuse out right then and there!
On a bike, I'd like to have the option of being able to slide the back end around and bring the bike down gracefully....with ABS your braking straight no matter what.
I guess I am "old school"...

Quick Reply: Abs or not to abs? That is the question