Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs or not to abs? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take two identical Baggers side by side at 65 mph, one with ABS and one without and do a full on panic stop and see which one stop in the least distance. The ABS will win every time. Now put some sand on the pavement and do the same. ABS wins again. Now put a little oil on the pavement..you get the idea?

Do you need it? I don't know....Do I need it?....You bet!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding since I was ten. I have a RG with the ABS option. I can't say that it's saved my life, but I can say that during a couple of stop light situations it may have saved a ticket or two. One time I probably missed a t-bone when a broad ran right out in front of me with a crossing gaurd telling me to go. I love the brakes on my 08 RG and am very glad I bought them. I have nothing to compare with though as this is my first and only modern Harley. The only other one being one with drums.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Been riding a good while, ange over 15K per year in Michigan... I have the ABS on my latest ride, a 2008 Ultra, and I will say cayuse I mean it...ABS IS A MUST HAVE.

Friends and I tested it on a closed course. 2 identical bikes, one person standing by to signal the stop, 15 times we tried, and 15 times the ABS stopped at least 4 bike lengths faster at speeds over 40 mph. Switched riders and tried it all over again so no one culd say tyhe ABS rider was any better...Results were nearly identical ABS stopped faster EACH AND EVERY TIME at speeds above 40. Below that speed, you MIGHT be able to stop faster than me with my ABS, but I would not bet on it.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
DoWorkSon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its less than 800 dollars... that will MORE than pay for itself (how much is your life worth) in one precarious panic stop... I've locked my Nightster brakes up more than once on loose/greasy surfaces, and i can tell you its a scary scary SCARY and dangerous thing... and worth 800 dollars

Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have riden over 50k miles on my BMW with it fitted and regard it as an ornament! I have also owned 3 cars with it fitted, done 150k miles in them and the only conditions I have found the ABS to function are at almost zero speeds in the wet.

I have to say I think ABS is over-rated and of questionable benefit. It has taken Harley over a decade to get around to installing it and that says enough!

I've been wearing seat belts for 45 years and haven't needed them yet. Same for safety glass in the cars I've owned! I think they're overrated as well!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
DoWorkSon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twinrider
I've been wearing seat belts for 45 years and haven't needed them yet. Same for safety glass in the cars I've owned! I think they're overrated as well!

same with condoms... not quite for 45 years though

Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Figured that chances are ABS is going to save lives so decided to get into the drawing.

Also felt ABS and cruise would help resale.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:58 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love to read oil threads and Abs threads. I got to go make some popcorn!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
HDwoman1
Novice

Can ABS be installed post factory installation?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point; he already has the bike and is having second thoughts about not getting ABS. He has what he has and unless he is willing (and has deep enough pockets) to take a beating on trade in and buy a new bike less than one year after his present bike then his only option is to try:

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/index.html

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried this system. For good or ill I have ABS but I have a friend in much the same position.

Quick Reply: Abs or not to abs? That is the question