Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs or not to abs? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
There are those of us old schoolers that do not want the assist of ABS.Riding aggressively and having ABS would not work for me.
I always cringe when I hear this. Very few riders ride harder and have more training than cops. Yet most departments require ABS on their bikes because statistically they reduce accidents by up to 40%.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was lucky in that I wanted ABS and they just got the exact bike I wanted in a shipment. Even if I never use it, it may help on resale. It came with a DVD explaining how the system works and how it is meant to be used. It did show stopping distances with and without, pretty big difference. But there are those that say they can stop quicker without it, no way, not on gravel, pavement, wet conditions.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:56 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hit the brakes on a rain soaked road a couple years ago, started sliding, released the brakes, gradually applied them and lived to talk about it but it could have been bad. If I buy another HD and it's available, I'm buying it.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Keep what you have unless you can find some 'old timer' who loves non abs and wants to pay a fair price. Unless I miss my guess you are going to take a real beating on a trade... Now, if you are uncomfortable with what you have because of the brakes, nothing will change your mind, so you may as well get it over with and order one in the color you want. Maybe if you get the same color no one will know

Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
SA315B
Road Captain

I seem to be the lone dissenter when it comes to ABS, I’ve posted my thoughts on this and the responses become personal in very short order so I’m not going to bother with my reasons for advising against it. Suffice to say, since both of us have what we have, there is no point in worrying about it.

Try this link, I came across it looking for something completely unrelated (and I'm already stuck with ABS) so I didn’t bother to research the product but, if the claims are valid, then it is worth trying. Indeed at $80.00 with a 30 day money back trial period you have nothing to loose.

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/index.html

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I be having these thoughts or did I do the right thing? Can someone share with me any personal Pros And Personal Cons of both with and without ABS.
In my opinion, ABS is great if part of your everyday travel path consist of ridin' downhill in wet conditions, loaded 2-up with your luggage capacity maxed-out. Not where you'll be ridin' most of the time?...then Harley's new Brembo brakes are all the stoppping power you'll ever need.
I don't have it & purposely bought a bike without it. I wanted to be able to make my bike stop when I wanted it to, not when the bike decides to. Now obviously the guys who DO have it are going to tell you all their "deer jumped out in front of me" stories & tell you that it's the greatest invention since slice bread! But go ask the guys who have been ridin' for 30+ years without ABS if they think it's needed? I don't know about you, but when faced with having to make a split-second maneuver decision the last thing I want to feel is the brake pedal "thumping" underneath my foot as I'm trying to get my bike to stop.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

abs is only way to go

Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's hard to believe this question is still being asked.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by wldbill
A quick read of my service manual says that after doing a brake fluid flush on an ABS system you need to do something with the computer to verify a good system. Sounds like a fluid change is now a dealer only process.
I think that applies only if the fluid lines have been disconnected.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ABSolutely worth every penny to me!

Quick Reply: Abs or not to abs? That is the question