Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots Of Metal In Oil HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

One last suggestion do an oil analysis at the next change .. Blackstone Labs is what I use every 5,000 Miles and just adds peace of mind if in doubt...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mphamrick
I bought the extended warrenty with my bike, and I guess that is why I take it to the stealer. At least for the first four years then I will start doing things myself.
Just beacause you have the extended warranty does not mean the dealer has to do the services.
I also have the ex. warranty and have done all the services except the 1K.Had to have the lifters replaced under the warranty.No questions asked.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is a UK Harley forum where mention of the dreaded 'oil' word is almost guaranteed to get a Moderator closing the thread, with a dressing down for the guilty party.

You are running a new bike and are probably still under warranty. Use the oil your dealer recommends, nothing else, and please don't mention the 'o' word here again!
Who gives a rats a$$ about what a UK forum does or says. This guy is asking a question looking for help and this is the crap you give. Way to go and thanks for nothing. If you are tired of looking at questions about oil then don't read them and don't bother responding to them. Help him or skip off to the UK forum to up your post count there.

With that said, I say the oil you are using is just fine. No real reason to change. Its more of a personal choice then anything. I would stick with a good full synthetic though.

I use Amsiol as many do but there are a few other great choices as many others who are not so bothered with oil questions will tell you like Mobile 1 or Redline. Going with a full synthetic i noticed an reduction in the heat off the engine and going with a heaver gear oil i noticed a big improvement in the shifting and easier to find neutral. Worth the extra expense just for that alone.

I would say as others already have and change your oil and filter again in 500. If no major improvement is noticed then bring it in. otherwise change it again with another 1k then follow the manual. Get a sample to Blackstone labs from the 1 k change and again from the next 2 changes so they can establish a pattern for you and see whats going on. $22.50 for the sample and piece of mind.

Good luck to you and ignore the self proclaimed experts who are too busy to answer us little guys questions.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh yeah, and while you are sending in an oil sample be sure to send a sample of air from each tire; peace of mind ya know.

J/K, but captjon37 you need to get those crawdads out of your britches.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
jeff194
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Used to see some glitter when I used HD 20-50 360 in my old RK. When I swithed to Mobil 1 20-50 it went away. I have not seen it on my current ride though. Changed oil at 500, 1000 the every 3000 after that.

So much for HD's 5 micron filter!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the cheap oil that harley makes even there syn 3 is just a cheap blend made

by citgo the cheapest crap you can buy i had metal shavings until i did my homework

and found out about harleys syn3 crap and discovered amsoil a great product

engine runs cooler tranny shifts easier and guess what no more metal shavings

ride safe