Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unauthorized Bike Wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009 | 08:01 PM
wiredwilly
Tourer

Originally Posted by TMART
You cannot wash a red bike with HD water in a black bucket.Fill that black bucket up with HD water,then look at the water.IT"S BLACK WATER,you do not want to put black water on a red bike,you have to have a red HD bucket.
I do believe this will definitely void the warranty when using the wrong color bucket, but what if we use a 5 gallon bucket instead of the HD 3 1/2 gallon bucket.
The knowledge that we gain from these threads is worth it's weight in laughter, as long as its genuine HD laughter

Old 02-06-2009 | 10:07 PM
bsps1111
Advanced

All of you have missed the most important part. Warranty issues aside, not using the Hd bucket, HD water, HD soap, HD hose, HD cloth....etc...... MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH !!!!!

Old 02-06-2009 | 10:41 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior

Wired *****

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water, you just had to ga and bring up the HD Laughter (any weight, 5w, 10w, 80w, 90w or whatever!) Guarantee. This is the best warranty out of all the HD warranties, and says that you will absolutely, have fun and laugh out loud as you apply water to your HD Motorcycle.

AND YOU'LL DO IT. TOMORROW. DANG IT!

Last edited by Yachtman; 02-06-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2009 | 11:14 PM
FXD07
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
WARNING! DO NOT GET THE HD WATER ON YOUR TIRES or SEAT! Let me explain as this is not one of those “I heard it from a guy or read it on the internet” stories. This happened to me just last weekend.

I live down here in South Texas and the weather has been pretty nice. I woke up Saturday morning and decided to wash my bike. I had bought the HD Soap, SE Bucket, 105th Edition hose and a full gallon of HD H2O from my local Dealer during their annual 20% off Christmas sale but hadn’t tried it yet. About 10am I back the bike out into the driveway and gather my supplies and a beer. I figure its Saturday and so what if it’s early, I’ve worked hard all week and deserve a beer. First I gotta tell you guys, the HD H2O really makes a difference. It is like a super surfactant, gets everything slippery as the more I washed and the more water that got on the driveway the harder it got to “skate” back to the fridge to get more beer. Every trip the driveway got slicker and harder to stay upright. Anyway about 1300hrs (1 pm for you civilians) I was finished up washing and decided to take a little trip down the road to wind dry the bike, and besides I needed to stop by the store to pickup more beer, I thought I had bought a 12 pack but I guess it was only a 6’er.

Well this is where I had my first problems with getting the Seat and Tires wet with the HD H2O. While backing the bike down the driveway I kinda slid around on the seat and almost lost control as the tires didn’t seem to grip as usual. I didn’t recognize the problems at the time but looking back I should have seen the issue. So I took off on my drying run and decided to take a back road down around the outskirts of town. As I was going past a Biker Dive that I sometime hang out I saw a friend of mine scooter parked out front. Well I decided to do a U-turn and stop in to see him and maybe have a beer or two. I didn’t want to stay long as I still had to stop by the store. Well during the U-turn I noticed again how the bike tires were not griping the road as normal; I almost dropped the bike again. So into the pub I go and hook up with my friend. We had a good time buying beers back and forth (good thing they have an ATM there). I decided it was time to leave but my friend reminded me the Dancers were about to start on stage and they had a few new girls trying out. Ok what harm can staying for 1 or 2 sets/beers cause? Its funny how “Last Call” comes around so quick. I pay my tab (again good thing they have an ATM) and head out the door.

This is where I realized just how dangerous getting the HD H2O on your seat and tires can get. As I mounted the bike it became apparent that that HD H2O had caused my seat to become SUPER Slippery as I could barely stay on the bike, almost dropped it again. So I fired up my scooter and let out the clutch while gently rolling on some throttle. The rear tire immediately lost traction and started spinning and just as sudden caught traction and caused me to shoot across the parking lot towards 2 of the girls getting off work. I tried to steer left and then right but it was like my front tire had a mind of its own. I finally gained control of the steering but over compensated causing me to do not 1 but 2 360s right in front of the girls, finally coming to rest on the crash bars. This bike had become dangerous. I called another buddy of mine who had a pickup truck to haul this monster away. The next afternoon when I woke up I started to review the past days events. As many times as I go over it in my head, the only thing I can figure is that HD H2O is so slippery it can cause a dangerous situation. I poured the remaining HD H2O and soap down the drain in an effort to not let this happen again.

I have been wondering if this has ever happened to any of you. If we see a pattern maybe we should band together and file a Class-Action Lawsuit against MOCO and their H2O division.
You might have a case. Rumors floating around that some shipments of HD Water had excessive levels of DiHydrogen Monoxide as an additive.

Old 02-07-2009 | 02:07 AM
TheBagger
Road Master

This has to be the official Winter thread on this forum.

Old 02-07-2009 | 05:54 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I bought the "Wash Like A Pro" dvd. It has really help me. Shows you how to adjust the HD hose nozzle so the HD water comes out at the right speed. At first the water was too hot so I put on a SEWT(screaming eagle water tuner) Made a big difference. I now have all the confidence in the world when I wash the bike. I no longer fear dropping the HD mitt in the HD bucket.

(By the way I think I can arrange group therapy for you all).

Old 02-07-2009 | 05:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Next time you should use some Genuine HD bottled water from the dealership.

Old 02-07-2009 | 08:19 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
I bought the "Wash Like A Pro" dvd. It has really help me. Shows you how to adjust the HD hose nozzle so the HD water comes out at the right speed. At first the water was too hot so I put on a SEWT(screaming eagle water tuner) Made a big difference. I now have all the confidence in the world when I wash the bike. I no longer fear dropping the HD mitt in the HD bucket.

(By the way I think I can arrange group therapy for you all).

I love this one...now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Old 02-07-2009 | 08:35 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

It's going to be hot in car wash hell!

Old 02-08-2009 | 10:04 AM
wtxriders
Advanced
Default Void, voided, voideded

I complained to dealer about the soft paint on my 08 black FLHX and how easy it scrathed and ask if it was just mine or all HD black bikes. I have had 8 black harley bikes many trucks and this is the softest paint Ive ever seen

His reply was if not using HD wash, wax, polish , and swirl remover they could not warranty the paint.

My reply......... Have a nice day sorry I bothered you, please forgive me, O'holy one. To show respect I'll go buy another T shirt right now