Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unauthorized Bike Wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009 | 08:35 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

This could present a real problem for you. The special molecules present in the Harley soap give off only positive reverse ions. These ions are a perfect chemical match for Harley paint.
If you use some other kind you may see rust develop in 20 or 30 years, esp. if the bike is left out in the rain on a regular basis. My advice would be don't tell your dealer how bad you screwed up and hope they don't catch it. Also, the Harley towels have special " Smart Fibers"
that sense the proper pressure to apply when you wipe with them. Again, all other towels have " Dumb Fibers" which can easily ruin your paint job. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes man, good luck.

Old 02-05-2009 | 08:38 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer

Thanks guys for the heads up. I was about to crack open a few bottles of spring water to wash the bike. Now I have to wait for Chicago HD to ship me genuine HD water.(But I did get 20% off)

Old 02-05-2009 | 08:45 AM
katobird
Road Warrior

The bucket wasn't the problem..You just voided the warranty because you didn't use an HD hose

Old 02-05-2009 | 08:54 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Warranty is definitely VOIDED - you're screwed now buddy!

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:09 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

The water...the bucket...the hose...But did you guys think that if you wiped it off without a Harley approved towel or air blaster you've done just as much harm?? I think we need to work on a group buy for all this! Who's in??

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:27 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

We all need to stop washing our bikes til HD ammends their instructions, HD wash mitt?? If you don't use it you get those swirl marks and then only HD authorized detailer can take them out. Write HD immediately .

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:42 AM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Clint55
Ok. I’m a Harley man through and through and don’t make fun or cap on the MOCO too much. I figure they have their problems and I have mine. But this time I just can’t help it.

I went to wash the bike today and was fresh out of the Meguiars stuff that I normally use so I figured , what the heck, I’ll try using that 2 oz bottle of Genuine Harley Davidson Sunwash Concentrate that was a free gift for buying the bike a while back.

The directions on the bottle actually say “Use a HD 3 ½ gallon bucket and a HD Soft Drying Towel”.

The problem is that all I had is a regular bucket and a non-HD soft drying towel. So I went ahead and took a chance with what I had. There was no mention of using HD water for rinsing so I just used regular water.

Hope I didn’t void the warranty.
Yep, your warranty just went the way of the Dinosaur...you're now up the creek w/o a genuine HD paddle..

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:43 AM
nolafishr
Banned

You are in Trouble for sure for not using Official HD Products, I aM sure you vided the Warranty, Left Water Spots on the Bike along with all the Streaks! They will come and Take Your Bike! LOL

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:55 AM
budwfo
Road Captain

HD water part# H2o-96ci, available by the case only....hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:57 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

Whatever you don don't use that polish crap they gave you. It swirled the **** out of my paint.

Quick Reply: Unauthorized Bike Wash