Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Engine Shacking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help Engine Shacking

Looking for some direction to look. Have developed a bad shake in engine not really a vibration but more of a front to rear pitch, way more than there should be. Have put new front mount in 79d, checked top mount less removing tank. Bike seems to run fine, only does this at idle, seems to get worse when Eng warms up. also have noticed increase in vibration when coming to a stop using more back brake. checked to make sure everything is tight. Can't seem to find prob any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year and model? I can assume it is a 2006 Ultra with a stage one kit, but...I don't want to make an *** out of u and me. Also, I could not really tell you if I can't see it or touch it. My best suggestion is to bring it to a mechanic. I could be a loose motor mount, bushing or something internal. You could have a cracked frame, but doubt it. Also, note that a normal engine will vibrate more at idle and when warming up, and it does vibrate in a front to back motion, not a side to side motion, normally.

Now, you say yours does it at idle, when the engine is warmed up, and when you useing more back brake. Does it make any kind of sound? Other than the potato patato potato I mean. Does it make any knocking sound, and does any sounds, other than the pipes, change when you twist the throttle?

It all sounds like normal vibration though. How many miles do you have? Try a tune up. Check your air filter, and spark plugs. Also, have a mechanic check your programing of the PC III. You might want to check your air pressure in the tires. That can cause a wobble or vibrate sometimes.

Something else, if you have not already done it. Purchase a manual or chiltons and a good torque wrench. That way you can check the torque on your mounts. Also, check the bolts on the axles if you are notice slight wobble or vibration in the handle bars.

I don't really know what else to say without looking at it, but I do wish you the best of luck, and hope everything comes out alright.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser

Has 27k on it. no noises way more rocking motion than normal. wondering to if possible it could be problem with mounting at rear of motor trans. ???

Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a hot compression check as well to see if you have a week cylinder.
Ron

Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Sounds like your rubber exhaust mounts. They cost less than five bucks for the pair and take about ten minutes to replace. They can change the shaking a lot. In fact, I like to tell folks to replace them along with the front motormount.

Beary

Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
pigpipes
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always check the simple stuff first. Check the plugs for fouling. If they're ok, you could have a clogged or bad injector.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
pigpipes
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost forgot! I've seen the temp sensors go bad too. Runs fine cold, then runs too rich when it warms up as the sensor thinks the bike is still cold. Too much fuel fouls the plugs at idle. And the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone....

Kinda miss those carbs some days.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pigpipes
I always check the simple stuff first. Check the plugs for fouling. If they're ok, you could have a clogged or bad injector.
Originally Posted by pigpipes
Almost forgot! I've seen the temp sensors go bad too. Runs fine cold, then runs too rich when it warms up as the sensor thinks the bike is still cold. Too much fuel fouls the plugs at idle. And the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone....

Kinda miss those carbs some days.
I checked plugs. good, replaced muffler mount rubbers along with front motor mount a week & 1/2 ago. Like I said seems to run fine except for idle rode 250 miles yesterday ran fine other than bad bouncing at idle. thanks for the replys. If sensor was bad would that only show up at Idle????

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Need Help Engine Shacking

Be very careful. If your Ultra is "shacking" up with a Softail, you may have a Dyna on the way. I hope Sniper reads this. Geezer my ***....

Seriously, I dunno. How long have you owned this bike. I know HD changed the design of the front motor mount in 06 or 07 making it more rigid which drew complaints of vibration at speed. Maybe they went back to the softer mount and you just bought one?

BUT, when you find the problem, SHARE the cause with us. Too many post problems and not the solution.

Good Luck

Last edited by RoadKingRon1; 02-04-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

What is the engine rpm at idle when warm??

I had the excact same problem with my 06 because the rpm was around 700.

Found PC III throttle position to be at 5% at idle. Reset throttle position to 0 and the idle increased immediately to the proper range. Shake and vibration vanished.
my2cent

Quick Reply: Need Help Engine Shacking