Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Engine Shacking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought bike new. Idles at 900 rpm. Have been checking this out all day, Kinda thinking it may be front mount, Just replaced it less than 2 weeks ago. keept looking at it and slid a pry bar between washer & rubber on bottom of mount with a little pressure it mellowed the bouncing out quite a bit. Now may be way off but seems like if the bottom washer fit up tight to the rubber and got rid of the gap between them it should absorbe more of the movement. With the steel sleeve preventing this looks to me like its just working center of the mount instead of whole thing. Now with all that said is it just time for me to just hit myself in the head with a hammer for my brillant deduction or what.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BARTMAN57
Now with all that said is it just time for me to just hit myself in the head with a hammer for my brillant deduction or what.
Elementry Watson! Sherlock always uses deductive reasoning! I would have thought it was something with the PCIII or spark plugs myself. I hope it is something simple like the front motor mount. Good luck, and let us know when you find and fix it.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need Help Engine Shacking

Just get some 2X4's and build around it and put some kind of roofing material over it and...ooops? sorry, "Shaking"...I thought you said "Shacking"

JK...I couldn't help myself..

Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bazam9s
Need Help Engine shaking

Just get some 2X4's and build around it and put some kind of roofing material over it and...ooops? sorry, "Shaking"...I thought you said "Shacking"

JK...I couldn't help myself..
Oh now your going to be critical of my spelling, Ooops I guess my bike is shacking. What the h#lls up with that.. should have drank more>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by BARTMAN57; 02-05-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM
hitone
Cruiser

2007 Street Glide here with 40,000 kms and mine started doing the same thing at idle last fall before I put it away for winter. The bike ran great, no noises and no tuning problems just a strong shaking at idle that even made the fairing jump around. Increasing the RPMs above 1000 seemed to smooth it out. This Spring, I will try repourquing all engine mounts, replacing mount rubbers and the exhaust rear mount rubbers as per the above suggestion. I expect that problem lies with the mounts. There are many other posts here about the same thing. Someone even suggested that if you loosen and retourque the slipon mounts you may cure the problem as they tend at times to get jammed up and cause vibration.
Whatever works is worth posting because we are definitely not alone in this!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try the sta bo front motor mount. bike shook so bad after instsalling it in less than 1 week broke both faing mounts and fried the radio! took it tossed it in a corner found some old style 80's mounts (79d) on ebay for 12$ put it in fixed the fairing replaced the radio all was well

Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser

[QUOTE=hitone;4504048]2007 Street Glide here with 40,000 kms and mine started doing the same thing at idle last fall before I put it away for winter. The bike ran great, no noises and no tuning problems just a strong shaking at idle that even made the fairing jump around. Increasing the RPMs above 1000 seemed to smooth it out. This Spring, I will try repourquing all engine mounts, replacing mount rubbers and the exhaust rear mount rubbers as per the above suggestion. I expect that problem lies with the mounts. There are many other posts here about the same thing. Someone even suggested that if you loosen and retourque the slipon mounts you may cure the problem as they tend at times to get jammed up and cause vibration.
Whatever works is worth posting because we are definitely not alone in this![/

Still trying to figure this out already changed front mount,new exhaust rubber mounts. Now think it may have something to do with tune at idle settings. Going to try and pull map and see if any thing has changed setting wise from last tune 5mos ago. Will post any finding

Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The Harley mount is too soft. Go to the velva ride front mount and your problem will be solved.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Your idle is too low,should be 1000

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree it is the IDLE......Twin cam needs to be above 950 or the motor is not moving enough oil around.

Quick Reply: Need Help Engine Shacking