Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 FLHX PC V Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 PM
HauerMG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 FLHX PC V Questions

Greetings from SoCal,

I recently bought an 09 Streetglide and have since done the garden variety upgrades that most everyone does (A/C, Slip-ons & PC) Since the installation of the PC V I've noticed the bike running alot hotter. Most all the threads I've read from other members that have done these mods say their bikes run cooler. I had the bike parked in garage today, with a laptop computer connected to the power commander. I let the bike idle for 10 minutes or so and it had reached 311F degrees. I'm certain it would have gotten hotter. I called the company I bought the upgrades from and they said it's not unheard of at idle for these motors to reach that temp. I'm running Stage 1 air cleaner, Jackpot slipons and the map for these parts. I pulled the spark plugs tonight, there's alot of black soot around the threaded part of the plug, but the electrode and insulator are clean. The exhaust rumbles on decel, but I'm not certain that I'd call it popping. The bike runs great as far as I can tell, but I'm concerned about potential damage if the heat continues.

What I'd really like to know is what kind of temperatures other members are seeing on their bikes with similar/same upgrades. Thanks.

Matt

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

I am sure you know that these are air cooled bikes and will make the headers glow red if you let them sit at idle long enough. Don't worry about the temp while sitting in your garage go out and ride the darn thing then report back.

Tim

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested as well. Just installed the same package as you tonight. Except I have stage 1 103" and the autotune modules. Did you use Jamie's basemap? Or did you have a tuner do it for you...or youself?

As far as temps, mine never went over 225 as far as I can tell BUT it was 30 degrees or so out there when I rode it. I didn't let it idle for that long. I never would suggest letting it idle for that long in warm air and without air moving over it though. Does it ride hot too, or just at idle?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
HauerMG
Advanced

Oldman, I understand what you're saying. Will have to get more feedback from the bike as I just added the new slipons last night.

Streetglider, I had noticed the bike felt like it was running warm after a 30 mile or so leg of a trip that I took. But at that point I had only done the A/C and the PC V. I used the map that Jamie sent me, and loaded the new map once I got the jackpots on. I can't complain about the bikes performance, just raised an eyebrow with the heat at idle.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set the laptop up in the garage...then go ride for an hour or so. Come back and shut the bike off. Quickly plug in the PCV to the laptop and turn the ignition and run switch on but do not start the bike. See what the temp says. You shouldn't loose much heat in the 2 minutes it might take you to get it set up. Maybe then you'll be able to judge it better.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
HauerMG
Advanced

That's what I was thinking, maybe even leave the USB cable connected to the PC V and just tuck it away somewhere to get it connected more quickly. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 AM
RYEDOGGRACING
Cruiser

Mat, with todays additives in the fuel that we buy a plug read isn't as reliable as the old days. If you can call Dyno Jet and talk to them they are very helpful. I also drag race a 08 Hayabusa and use all there products. If you loaded the right map the you should be fine. I would ride it. Then check it. You can leave the usb cord in. I hope this helps because i will be doing the same as you but with Rush exhaust.

Dyno Jets tech # 1-800-992-4993

Last edited by RYEDOGGRACING; 02-04-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HauerMG
Greetings from SoCal,

I let the bike idle for 10 minutes or so and it had reached 311F degrees.
Head temperatures will climb rapidly in a running engine with no airflow over the cooling fins. After warming up on the road I can watch the assent with the PCV software while sitting in my garage. I wouldn't idle for more than a minute or two unless forced to, nor would I use that temperature measurement as an indicator of how hot the bike will run while moving. If you want to experiment without riding, blow a desk fan on high from one side of the engine to the other and watch the temps under those conditions.
OTOH I would ride the bike for a moderate distance or more, then connect to the computer and check the temps. If you idle while connecting the computer you will see higher temps.

Jamie's maps tend to be a bit rich in the interest of cooling, but at idle he's adding only 4% more fuel on my map, and this shows up as around 14:1 or a bit higher, which is leaner than other parts of the map. Note that Jamie applies no target AFR's in the 0% column as per Dynojet's recommendation. I asked DJ about this and they held to this policy, so I have all values zeroed in the 0% column.

My temps run about the same as 09StreetGlider (225°) after a ride in air temps around 60-70°. I'm running 96ci while he's at 103ci, and that should explain the slight temperature difference. I am running 14.7:1 in the cruise range, so I'm not exactly tuning for maximum cooling at this point.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

That's what I was thinking, maybe even leave the USB cable connected to the PC V and just tuck it away somewhere to get it connected more quickly. Thanks.
I have mine running out the back of the right side cover and into my right-side saddlebag guard bag. Keep in mind my PCV is under this side cover, but those of you with PC's under the seat you could still route it that way. Doing this prevents me from having to remove the saddlebag, guard bag, and side cover every time I want to check something. For most of you, it would be the seat that would need to be removed. Obviously, I'm sure, make sure the USB end that plugs into the computer is not exposed to any moisture.

I have the mini-USB connector plugged into the PCV and a Type A male on the other end. From that point I have another longer cable with female Type A going out to the Type A male that plugs into the computer.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I had the bike parked in garage today, with a laptop computer connected to the power commander. I let the bike idle for 10 minutes or so and it had reached 311F degrees. I'm certain it would have gotten hotter. .

What I'd really like to know is what kind of temperatures other members are seeing on their bikes with similar/same upgrades. Thanks.

Matt
This would be considered 100% normal. Regardless of your mods when idling for extended periods in a stationary position the cylinder head temp on the 96" motors can easily exceed 350+ degrees. With that being said, in my 1000's of hours of tuning I have not seen a 96" motor that has not seen considerable cooler running from EFI tuning, a stage 1 air cleaner and a mufflers swap. There are signifigant reductions in engine temp when moving at even slow speeds but understand these mods do not have as much affect on the extended idle temperatures. Simply put, there is only so much you can do to control extended idle temps on an air cooled motor with fuel mixture and ignition timing, which is why the Delphi ECM EITMS heat managment shuts down the rear cylinder under extreme conditions.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com