Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airhawk seat cushion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:09 PM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I had a sore behind on the last couple hundred of my 900 mile weekend. No problem at all first 700 or so. Pure numbness in each cheek on my butt bone, and no matter where I put my legs, boards, pegs, top of pegs, anywhere it just ached. Couldn't wait to get off that thing at gas stops.

I did a lot of research and Air Hawk was by far the most recommended product - people swear by it.

I guess I had mine too pumped up because I didn't like sitting on a balloon... if letting the air out doesn't work I'll have one I'll sell you cheap! lol

I will update the thread after I try letting more air out.

LOL, sounds good Joe. Keep me posted!

Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

FYI, Just put one up for sale

Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

hey joe, i feel your pain.....or at least i used to. i tried bead rider, sheepskin, an ultimate seat, mustang seat and nothing helped my tailbone after about 90 minutes. i finally got a day-long by russell. it aint cheap but its the best investment i ever made for an upgrade to the bike. i can go in between fillups walk and stretch for about 5 minutes, back on and ride to the next fill up. well, i've done 500 mile days and back the next with no problem. think about it as an alternative in case letting a little air out of your blow up doesn't work. i think a lot of iron butt riders use them. just an option in case you need another. riding sore aint no fun. good luck.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
hey joe, i feel your pain.....or at least i used to. i tried bead rider, sheepskin, an ultimate seat, mustang seat and nothing helped my tailbone after about 90 minutes. i finally got a day-long by russell. it aint cheap but its the best investment i ever made for an upgrade to the bike. i can go in between fillups walk and stretch for about 5 minutes, back on and ride to the next fill up. well, i've done 500 mile days and back the next with no problem. think about it as an alternative in case letting a little air out of your blow up doesn't work. i think a lot of iron butt riders use them. just an option in case you need another. riding sore aint no fun. good luck.
Cass, great post, thanks!

I have a HD two up seat with fringe and a backrest, I love it, looks great and I have no back problems or ailments, but man, after 700 miles that numbness was something I've never felt in my life and hope to never feel again. Sounds like you know what I mean.

For my normal weekend 100 mile rides, no problem at all.

If this doesn't pan out I'll look into a Russell....thanks for chiming in.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I rode from Seattle to West Yellowstone in 2005 and my **** hurt so bad that I was standing on the floor boards from Gallatin to West Yellowstone. Next day in the park, Canyon Village I met a guy with an airhawk. I ordered one that evening overnight dropship to the fly fishing shop in West Yellowstone. I used it happily for years with minimal air. It has always performed. I tried Mustang super touring, Mean City mods, beads, sheepskin, Ultra seat. Only the airhawk allowed me to ride all day. Finally tried the Harley demo seat program. Sundowner, same as Mustang, good for 100 miles. New Hammock, okay, good for 250. Older style Hammock, good for 650 miles....and while not as totally comfortable as the low air airhawk, if I can ride 650 miles without really thinking about my ****, I can call myself satisfied. Girlfriend tried the airhawk and hated it. Too much air I think, but one try and it was not to get another. Lesson I learned. Each **** is way to different for any recommendation to work for you. Buying seats is a crap shoot. Some get lucky, some have a high tolerance for pain, some are just hard asses. Airhawk works better with some style seats better than others. Mine worked best with the horrible stock seat and not so well with the Mustang. Size, shape or seat can make it better or worse. Custom seats, especially those fit at the makers shop work because they fit the shape of your ****. The Harley demo seat program is a great deal as even if you decide none work for you, you can learn what style feels better and at least focus on those styles of seats. I retailer in your area would do well to work a deal and discount and offer non-Harley seats in a demo to buy program.
I keep my airhawk just in case now, as I said the original Hammock is working for me, not perfect but close enough. Before the Harley demo seat program, I bought and sold, used seats recommended by forum members like you, on ebay/craigs list/from friends 4 seats before finding that the original hammock was one I could live with day after day of 350 mile rides and then that moment of truth ride, when you realize you have to be at work the next day and you are still 700 miles from home.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the reply S of Hounds.

I tried last weekend running it low on air but I think I let too much out...I felt my butt on the seat like normal. I pumped it up again and let a bunch of air out, but apparently not enough as it was a little like a beach ball again.

I have to find a sweet spot on it. Seems if I can feel the regular seat underneath it, it's not doing anything.

Do you guys feel the regular seat under it?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Airhawk seat cushion

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Thanks HD Gyro!

It seems to me that if I deflate it enough for my butt to touch, then what's the point of it. I'll look for the sweet spot as you guys suggest.
Big difference between your butt touching the seat vs. all your weight and pressure on the seat

Old 09-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Big difference between your butt touching the seat vs. all your weight and pressure on the seat
True... so is it properly set up if your butt touches, but barely?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:41 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I do not feel my seat. It does not bottom out either. Just enough air to even out the pressure pillows, maybe 1/4" -3/8" higher than having no airhawk.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Do you guys feel the front and the rear of the cushion getting a lot of air in them even if what's under your butt does not? Kind of like sitting on a balloon?

Quick Reply: Airhawk seat cushion