Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airhawk seat cushion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used AirHawks front and rear for a couple of years now. I noticed there there is no more squirm from the Wifey on the back. She (so we) can sit comfortably between fillups so there is no need for an intermediate stop unless we want to. We run them almost flat so they don't add much at all to seat height.

I think that using AirHawks is one of the best touring tips out there.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I both have them and them make the longer days easy!

Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I knew I'd get blasted if I asked this question to "do a search".

Well I did a search and this thread is the closest to answering my question but not quite. So now I'll get blasted about dragging up an old thread! Lol

I picked up an airhawk and even though I ran it pretty flat, it made me feel like I was skipping around on the bike when turning, doing uturns, etc. I've got it so flat my butt is just about hitting the seat, but not quite. I'd say about ¼-½" of air between my butt and the seat.

How flat are you guys running these? I think if I run it so flat my butt touches the seat, then why run it at all?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

The Airhawk 2 is much cheaper and their reviews on Amazon are very good. I don't know the differences.

Beary

Old 08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 896 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
The Airhawk 2 is much cheaper and their reviews on Amazon are very good. I don't know the differences.

Beary
Cheaper material and less warranty.

Joe, 1/4 to 1/2 inch is way too much.
Less than 1/8 is what I use.
Air it down slowly until you just feel the seat. Go for a ride. No slipping around, you're good. It will feel almost flat when it's right.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dajogejr
Cheaper material and less warranty.

Joe, 1/4 to 1/2 inch is way too much.
Less than 1/8 is what I use.
Air it down slowly until you just feel the seat. Go for a ride. No slipping around, you're good. It will feel almost flat when it's right.
Dajogerjr, thanks for that advice...I'll give it a shot.

Currently I can feel the air moving between the bladders as I shift around and it's very disconcerting as I turn. I feel like I'm riding on a balloon over the bike. I figured I must be doing something wrong as people really love these from my research.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:42 AM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Airhawk

If you feel the air pockets you have it over inflated. It's a common problem, I did it myself. If a little air is good, more is better. However, more air makes it worse.

I did 800 mile days regularly last year with it. The worst day was the third when I increased the pressure thinking that would make me feel like I was riding on a cloud. Wrong. It was worse than the stock seat. However, after deflating it properly it allowed the long days to be very comfortable.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks HD Gyro!

It seems to me that if I deflate it enough for my butt to touch, then what's the point of it. I'll look for the sweet spot as you guys suggest.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 AM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

i am in the market for something to make a trip in October more comfortable for the OL and I.

I was almost 100% sold on a sheepskin cover. Are there any of you guys current running this product that have first hand comparison to the sheepskin type of product?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by chadk
i am in the market for something to make a trip in October more comfortable for the OL and I.

I was almost 100% sold on a sheepskin cover. Are there any of you guys current running this product that have first hand comparison to the sheepskin type of product?
I had a sore behind on the last couple hundred of my 900 mile weekend. No problem at all first 700 or so. Pure numbness in each cheek on my butt bone, and no matter where I put my legs, boards, pegs, top of pegs, anywhere it just ached. Couldn't wait to get off that thing at gas stops.

I did a lot of research and Air Hawk was by far the most recommended product - people swear by it.

I guess I had mine too pumped up because I didn't like sitting on a balloon... if letting the air out doesn't work I'll have one I'll sell you cheap! lol

I will update the thread after I try letting more air out.

Quick Reply: Airhawk seat cushion