Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calcium Chloride as road de-icer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the stuff, mainly because it impairs my ability to read the road. I will ride at temps as low as -7C but if CaCl was put down even a couple of days previously it makes the road look "wet". A road that has been salted with NaCL always looks dry if the salt is not at work. So if you see a wet looking patch you know to avoid it or if you have to go through it, go with caution. The make-up is also VERY critical since if it is wrong it is like putting oil on the road. There have been a number of very serious accidents up in this part of the world believed to have been caused by this. However, trying to get this confirmed without a REAL freedom of information act is almost impossible

Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That stuff is worse than salt because doesn't wash off as easily as salt. I've seen many rewashes at our carwash because the stuff just doesn't wanna come off. Salt on the other hand rinses off easily.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brine trucks

Yes, it actually shortens the riding season too. At least with salt, it has to snow first before salt application. Not that brine s**t. The first nice sunny spring day,here they come spreading that acid $hit all over the roads. Don't be fooled when it dries either. The dust blows everywhere! It pisses me off when I see them! However, it's good for the auto repair business. Think of it as a mini stimulus package.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Yep made the move from South Florida to Tennessee.And yes they spray the roads here with that stuff.I ride as long as the temp is above 45 and yes the roads are white with that spray crap.But after riding I clean the bike and my lift table sure comes in handy.I wont stop riding as long as the roads are dry

Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
molsen
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in WNY they use that stuff alot. That is why I will not buy a new car, it will not last. Do not dare ride the bike in it. Reason, the towns/cities use it to as a preventive measure before the snow comes down, that way the towns do not need to plow as much. PITA. It's really dumb. Sorry have to rant it is getting warmer, but the roads are crap here. Come on rain.